Andy Ricker (2011)
1963 (age 54–55)|
North Carolina, U.S.
|Cooking style||Thai cuisine|
Beginning his working life as a dishwasher in Vermont when he was a teenager, he accumulated culinary knowledge whilst backpacking and working and staging in restaurants in countries such as New Zealand, Australia and Thailand, and at Raymond Blanc's Michelin star restaurant Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons near Oxford, England. His first visit to Thailand was in 1987. From 1992 onward, he continued his travels to Thailand, staying there for several months each year to study Thai food culture.
Restaurants and bars
- Pok Pok, Portland (November 2005)
- Whiskey Soda Lounge, Portland (December, 2009)
- Pok Pok Noi (March 2011)
- Pok Pok Wing (renamed: Pok Pok Phat Thai) (January 2012)
- Pok Pok Ny, New York (April 2012)
- Sen Yai, Portland (May 2013)
- Whiskey Soda Lounge Ny, New York (August 2013)
- Pok Pok Phat Thai, LA (November 2014)
- Pok Pok LA (October 2015)
- Pok Pok NW (Spring 2017)
- 2007: "Restaurant of the Year" by The Oregonian for Pok Pok in Portland
- 2009: GQ Magazine's "Top Ten Best New Restaurants in America"
- 2011: James Beard Foundation Award: Best Chef, Northwest for his restaurant Pok Pok in Portland in 2011
- 2014: James Beard Foundation's annual Book, Broadcast and Journal Awards, in the category "cooking, recipes or instruction" for the article "The Star of Siam: Thai Curries" in Saveur magazine
- 2014: IACP Award in the category "Instructional Culinary Writing" for the article "The Star of Siam: Thai Curries" in Saveur magazine
- 2014: Pok Pok Ny receives a star in the 2015 Michelin Guide for New York City
- Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes, and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand (co-author J.J. Goode, photographer Austin Bush, foreword by chef David Thompson, 2013)
- Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, Brooklyn, November 2012
- Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, Thailand, June 2014
- Farang, the story of chef Andy Ricker by VICE Films, July 2014
- The Taste, Bring the Heat, January 2015
- Leong, Richard (Nov 12, 2013). "World Chefs: Andy Ricker shares Thai obsession in first cookbook". Retrieved Nov 12, 2013.
- "Chef Andy Ricker of Pok Pok - Biography". Starchefs.com. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Brooks, Karen (July 7, 2014). "Chef Andy Ricker Has Always Been Destined for Greatness". VICE Food LLC. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- "5 Questions: Andy Ricker". Andrewzimmern.com. Feb 6, 2013. Retrieved Sep 16, 2014.
- Siemers, Erik (May 5, 2014). "Pok Pok's Andy Ricker wins second James Beard Award — but not for his food". Portland Business Journal. Bizjournals.com. Retrieved Sep 16, 2014.
- "2014 IACP Awards Winners Include Mast Brothers, Andy Ricker, Suzanne Goin". Grub Street. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "New York's Michelin-Starred Restaurants Announced For 2015". Forbes. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes, and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand". Ten Speed Press. Jan 1, 2013. Retrieved Sep 16, 2014.
- "Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown Thailand - CNN.com". CNN. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
|This United States biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a foodie, restaurateur or gourmand is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|