A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||27 April 1970|
|Occupation||Author, cartoonist, screenwriter and television producer.|
|Alma mater||Pembroke College, Oxford|
|Genre||Comedy, adventure, science fiction|
Andy Riley (born 27 April 1970) is a British author, cartoonist, and Emmy-winning screenwriter for TV and film.
Riley has written and drawn many best-selling cartoon books, including The Book of Bunny Suicides (2003) and its sequels, and Great Lies To Tell Small Kids (2005). From 2002 until February 2010 he drew a weekly comic strip called Roasted in The Observer Magazine, a collection of which was released in book form in 2007. Riley also publishes the King Flashypants series of children's books.
With Kevin Cecil, his friend since they attended Aylesbury Grammar School, he created and wrote the sitcoms The Great Outdoors for BBC Four, Hyperdrive for BBC Two and Slacker Cats for the ABC Family Channel. Their other television work includes Veep (for which they each won an Emmy in 2015 in the Outstanding Comedy Series category), Black Books, the Comic Relief one-off special Robbie the Reindeer, for which he and Cecil won a BAFTA in 2000, Little Britain, Tracey Ullman's Show, Trigger Happy TV, So Graham Norton, Smack the Pony, The Armando Iannucci Shows, Harry and Paul, Big Bad World, Come Fly With Me, and Spitting Image. The Radio Four panel game they wrote with Jon Holmes and Tony Roche, The 99p Challenge, ran for five series from 2000.
They wrote for the Miramax animated feature Gnomeo and Juliet, and its forthcoming sequel Gnomeo and Juliet: Sherlock Gnomes.
Riley was educated at Aylesbury Grammar School and Pembroke College, Oxford, where he read Modern History. He is namechecked in the Father Ted Christmas Special as 'Father Andy Riley'.
|The Good Sex Guide||
|Smith & Jones: One Night Stand||
|The Friday Night Armistice||
|Jack and Jeremy's Real Lives||
|The Armstrong and Miller Show||
||Paramount Comedy Channel|
|Alexei Sayle's Merry-Go-Round||
|The Morwenna Banks Show||
|Hooves of Fire||
Fox Family Channel
|The Nearly Complete and Utter History of Everything||
|Harry Enfield's Brand Spanking New Show||
|Smack the Pony||
|TV to Go||
|The Armando Iannucci Shows||
|Robbie the Reindeer in Legend of the Lost Tribe||
|Man Stroke Woman||
|Katy Brand's Big Ass Show||
|The Great Outdoors||
|The Armstrong & Miller Show||
|Come Fly with Me||
|Ruddy Hell! It's Harry and Paul||
|Gnomeo & Juliet||
|Big Bad World||
|The Boy in the Dress||
|Tracey Ullman's Show||
|Gnomeo & Juliet: Sherlock Gnomes||
Awards and nominations
|2012||Annie Award||Gnomeo & Juliet (shared with Kelly Asbury, Mark Burton, Kevin Cecil, Emily Cook, Kathy Greenberg, Steve Hamilton Shaw, John R. Smith and Rob Sprackling)||Writing in a Feature Production||Nominated|
|2014||Online Film & Television Association Award||Veep||Best Writing in a Comedy Series||Won|
|2015||Primetime Emmy Award||Outstanding Comedy Series||Won|
|Writers Guild of America Award||Comedy Series||Nominated|
|2016||Writers Guild of America Award||Comedy Series||Won|
|Producers Guild of America Award||Veep, Season Four||Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television, Comedy||Nominated|
Standalone Cartoon Books
- Roasted (2007)
- D.I.Y. Dentistry and Other Alarming Inventions (2008)
- Selfish Pigs (2009)
- Wine Makes Mummy Clever (2011)
- Beer Makes Daddy Strong (2011)
- Puppy Versus Kitten (2017)
- The Book of Bunny Suicides (2003)
- Return of the Bunny Suicides (2005)
- Dawn of the Bunny Suicides (2010)
Lies to Tell Small Kids
- Great Lies to Tell Small Kids (2006)
- Loads More Lies to Tell Small Kids (2007)
- King Flashypants and the Evil Emperor (2017)
- King Flashypants and the Creature from Crong (2018)
- King Flashypants and the Toys of Terror (2018)
- Jarvis, Alice-Azania Jarvis (1 November 2007). "The 5-minute Interview: Andy Riley, Cartoonist and author". The Independent. London. Retrieved 6 February 2010.
- Riley, Andy (26 January 2010). "Status". Twitter. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- "Andy Riley and Kevin Cecil". Hyperdrive. BBC Comedy. July 2007. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- Deans, Jason (14 February 2006). "Hyperdrive gets second series". Guardian. London. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- Wiegund, David (13 August 2007). "Review: Cartoon cats with adult themes? Bad, kitty, bad". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- "Veep IMDB entry".
- Low, Lenny Ann (13 June 2005). "In the bad books". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- Mytton, Leigh (26 December 2002). "Top comic cast for Reindeer Robbie". BBC News. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- "The 99p Challenge". BBC Comedy. Archived from the original on 27 January 2010. Retrieved 5 February 2010.