Andy Thompson (Ohio politician)
|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives
from the 95th district
January 3, 2011
|Preceded by||Larry Woodford|
|Alma mater||Central College|
Andy Thompson is a Republican member of the Ohio House of Representatives for the 95th district, which includes Carroll, Harrison and Noble counties, and portions of Washington and Belmont counties. Prior to 2012 redistricting, he represented the 93rd district for one term. He served three terms on Marietta City Council (2005-2011) and is a co-publisher of his family's magazine, Bird Watcher's Digest.
Thompson graduated from Central College (Iowa) in 1985, and spent four years working for the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a libertarian think tank. Thompson is a member of the National Rifle Association.
Ohio House of Representatives
Thompson was first elected to represent the 93rd district in the Ohio House in November 2010, defeating Democrat Linda Secrest with 53.8% of the vote. After redistricting, Thompson ran in the 95th district, and defeated Democrat Charlie Daniels with 52.83% of the vote.
In March 2013, Thompson introduced a bill that would effectively kill Ohio's healthcare exchange under the Affordable Care Act by prohibiting any insurance company that participated in the exchange from doing business in Ohio.
Thompson is an activist against the Common Core State Standards Initiative, and has introduced a bill, HB 237, that would pull Ohio out of the standards and prohibit using the core-aligned standardized tests.
- "Thompson among those suing over Medicaid expansion". The Marietta Times. October 24, 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- Rogers, Jasmine (November 17, 2012). "Changes mean lighter sentences for local felons". The Marietta Times. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- "Representative Andy Thompson (R) - Biography". Ohio House of Representatives. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- "Ohio House of Representatives: November 2, 2010". Ohio Secretary of State. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- "Final Results - November 6, 2012 - State House of Representatives" (Microsoft Excel (.xls)). Ohio Secretary of State. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- Mismas, Joseph (March 6, 2013). "State Reps Thompson & Young introduce bill to kill Ohio’s healthcare exchange". Plunderbund.com. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- Bloom, Molly (October 10, 2013). "Anti-Common Core Bill Sponsor Likes Standards, Tests, But Doesn’t Want to Share Them with Other States". State Impact Ohio - Education. Ideastream.org. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- Rep. Andy Thompson (R- 95th) at The Ohio House of Representatives Official site
- Andy Thompson for Ohio - Official campaign site
|This article about a member of the Ohio House of Representatives is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|