Aned Y. Muñiz Gracia
Aned Y. Muñiz Gracia is an award-winning professor and writer.
Background and studies
During her last year of high school, Muñiz Gracia took part in an international cultural exchange program in Austria. She attended the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras campus and received a Bachelor of Arts in Modern Languages. During her undergraduate studies, Muñiz Gracia studied one summer at the Far Eastern National University in Vladivostok, Russia, participated in a summer seminar at the Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, and worked at Fersped Skopje, an import-export company in Macedonia.
She received the Master of Arts in European Languages and Literature from the University of Hawaii. Professor Aned Muñiz started teaching at the University of Hawaii at age 20. Her Master's Thesis was titled "Music as a Mnemonic and Didactic Device for Language Instruction". Upon completion of her master's degree, Aned Muñiz was awarded a Fulbright grant to conduct research in Austria.
During her second long-term residence in Europe, Aned Muñiz taught at the Vienna Business Academies, the Handelsakademie I and attended the Universities of Vienna and Klagenfurt. She later moved to California, where she completed her doctorate in Leadership Studies and Educational Sciences at the University of San Diego. Her dissertation research was about the factors that influence university attendance among high school graduating seniors in Puerto Rico. She also studied at the Università di Venezia (Cà Foscari) and presented at several academic conferences in the USA, Europe and Latin America.
Besides education and sports (she has practiced acrobatics, tandem surfing, swimming, and completed a marathon and several sprint distance triathlons), a big concern of hers is the well-being of Puerto Rico's stray animals. She has fostered or adopted several Puerto Rican stray dogs. She also has extensive work with youth as a mentor, swimming instructor, gymnastics judge, as a middle and high school teacher in Austria and at the San Diego German School. She has also been a summer camp director and children's program supervisor, as well as Assistant Director of the Middlebury College summer language academy.
Having lived, studied or worked in different parts of the world enabled Aned Muñiz Gracia to learn various languages such as Russian, German, French, Spanish, Italian, English. She has also studied Welsh, Serbo-Croatian, and Arabic, among other languages.
Awards and accolades
Aned Muñiz Gracia's roster of scholastic awards includes:
- Fulbright award
- Outstanding Professor of the Year at MiraCosta College in 2006
- Excellence in Teaching Award from Grossmont College in 2007
- One of San Diego's "Top 40 under 40" successful young people / community leaders in 2007 by San Diego Metropolitan Magazine
- One of San Diego's "Hispanic Top 10" in 2007 by Nostika magazine
- California Language Teachers' Association LangAbroad Award in 2009
- Università di Venezia / Italian Government Grant
- U.S. Department of State Critical Languages Scholarship
- Hawaii Newspaper Agency Award for Excellence in Commentary/Analysis, 1998
- German Academic Exchange Service Scholarship
- Homecoming Scholar, University of Hawai`i, 1996
- Surfer of the Month, El Nuevo Dia newspaper, September 1996
- Poetry Award, Association Portoricaine des Professeurs de Français, 1995
- Second Prize, University of Hawaii French poetry contest, 1994
- Fulbright Program U.S. Fellows Directory
- MiraCosta College Faculty Awards
- MiraCosta College look on page 6
- Grossmont College's Eighth Annual College Recognition Awards Honor Teaching Excellence
- San Diego Metropolitan Magazine 
- Libraries of the University of Hawaii System Thesis Listing
- (Spanish) Diario San Diego Valor Hispano
- (Spanish) El Caribe, a newspaper from the Dominican Republic Jóvenes disfrutan del turismo ecológico, mientras ayudan a la gente pobre (about a summer volunteer project led by Prof. Muñiz)
- Academic reference  for a conference paper.
- Editorial Board of Reviewers 
- University of San Diego Dissertation Defense Announcement[permanent dead link]
- University of San Diego Libraries dissertation listing
Muñiz Gracia has volunteered as a Latina Youth Mentor with MANA San Diego, the House of Puerto Rico in San Diego, and as a swimming instructor in Austria. She has helped create or served as Faculty Advisor for various student clubs including the MiraCosta College Italian Club and started her own foundation to create additional educational opportunities in Puerto Rico.
In 2003 Muñiz Gracia spent her summer in Stavanger, Norway, volunteering 40 hours a week for Camp Adventure Youth Services as Camp Director for an international children's day camp. In the summer of 2009 she led 2 volunteer projects to the Dominican Republic organized by International Student Volunteers and returned to the El Castillo project in 2010. She is serving as Executive Secretary for the House of Puerto Rico in San Diego in 2009 and 2010.
- Professor's Passion Obvious in Any Language
- Aned Muñiz Gracia Is A Well-Spoken Teacher
- MiraCosta College newsletter look on page 3
- (Spanish) Mientras más lenguas domines, mejor (The more languages you command, the better)
- EXPOLINGUA BERLIN presentation schedule (Vortragsprogramm - in German only)
- (Spanish) Con la beca Fulbright y su inteligencia hasta Austria (A Fulbright Grant and her Intelligence take her to Austria)
- (Spanish) Maestra Ejemplar[permanent dead link] Diario San Diego, Valor Hispano
- Jessica Pérez Cámara. "Nómada Idiomática" (in Spanish). Primera Hora. Archived from the original on 2012-09-29.
- High costs threaten the university
- It’s a two-way street for cars and bicycles
- Study abroad challenges perceptions
- Holidays in Austria unforgettable
More recent English and Spanish language contributions published in Mexican, Puerto Rican and San Diego newspapers include the following:
- Sin Mojarte los Pies
- La Movida Veneciana
- Solemn Nights in Austria
- Enamorada de la Isla Nena
- Purification on Vieques Island, Puerto Rico
- Austria, Musa de Noche de Paz
- Con el ánimo por las nubes
- Living Like a Local in Venice
- Constanza and El Castillo, Dominican Republic
- Para Estudiantes
- No te conformes con leer y soñar
- El Cielo es el Límite[permanent dead link]
- Five memorable day trips in Puerto Rico
- Macedonia, Tierra Exótica por Explorar
- ¿En familia? A San Diego, sin pensarlo dos veces
- Lithuania: Undiscovered Eastern Europe
- Para soñar de lo lindo
- Becas para ir a la universidad
- Solicitar becas es latoso pero vale la pena
- Jogging the Brain, published in March 2011 by Language Magazine.
- Bosques, lagos y calidad humana
- The Rosarito-Ensenada Bike Ride
- En casa de la Tía Juana
- Bosques, lagos y calidad humana
- Tests as Tools for Learning
- Solicita una beca hoy mismo
- Domesticar al dragón
- Baja California
- Las Vegas en familia