|Song by Porcupine Tree|
|from the album Fear of a Blank Planet|
16 April 2007|
24 April 2007
25 April 2007
1 May 2007
|Recorded||October – December 2006|
|Genre||Progressive rock, progressive metal, electronic rock|
|Songwriter(s)||Steven Wilson, Richard Barbieri, Colin Edwin, Gavin Harrison|
|Fear of a Blank Planet track listing|
"Anesthetize" is a Porcupine Tree song. It is the third track on the 2007 album Fear of a Blank Planet. It is the longest song on this album, clocking in at 17:42, making Fear of a Blank Planet the studio album containing the longest composition since 1995's The Sky Moves Sideways (not counting Voyage 34 (Phase III) in Voyage 34: The Complete Trip since it is a compilation album).
The song can be split into three sections, and in the album booklet, asterisk markings separate the lyrics to each of the sections. These sections are not named in the booklet, although during their BBC Radio 1 Rock Show performance, Gavin Harrison revealed that part two is called "The Pills I'm Taking". The song "What Happens Now?" from Nil Recurring EP uses a sample of the opening riff from this second movement. Harrison later revealed in an interview that the first and third parts are called "Anesthetize" and "Surfer" respectively.
The full-length live projection for this song comes on the Fear of a Blank Planet DVD-A edition as a bonus feature.
"Anesthetize" was voted "Best track of 2007" by readers of the Dutch Progressive Rock Page.
- Steven Wilson – vocals, guitar
- Richard Barbieri – keyboards
- Colin Edwin – bass
- Gavin Harrison – drums
- Alex Lifeson – guitar solo
- John Wesley – backing vocals
- "Alternative-Zine.com – Interviews – Porcupine Tree lead guitarist/singer/songwriter Steven Wilson". Archived from the original on 26 June 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-26.
- "Kscope Podcast 61". SoundCloud. 2015-03-21. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "DPRPoll 2007 Results". Archived from the original on 2 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-05.
|This rock music-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|