|Single by Nirvana|
|from the album From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah|
|Released||October 8, 1996|
|Format||Promo CD single|
|Recorded||December 28, 1991 in Del Mar, CA|
|Nirvana singles chronology|
"Aneurysm" is a song by the American grunge band Nirvana. Two studio versions have been released, and a live version from the album From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah was released as a promotional single in 1996.
According to the 2001 Kurt Cobain biography Heavier Than Heaven by Charles R. Cross, Cobain wrote the lyrics to "Aneurysm" about his ex-girlfriend, musician Tobi Vail. Cobain's lyrics for the song make fun of pop conventions and drug-use rituals ("shoot the shit"), ("beat me out of me"). Cobain's lyrics for the song allude to the first time he spent time with Tobi, when he got so nervous he had to throw up: "Love you so much, makes me sick!" He also wrote it as a dark love song to try to get her back and to describe how the break-up devastated him: "Come on over...do the twist, Overdo it...and have a fit!"
Recording and release history
The first studio version of "Aneurysm" was recorded on January 1, 1991 by producer Craig Montgomery and appeared as a B-side to Nirvana's 1991 single "Smells Like Teen Spirit". This version has been released on several subsequent Nirvana releases. The second studio version of "Aneurysm" was recorded at Maida Vale Studios on November 9, 1991 for Mark Goodier's BBC session, and was first aired on November 18, 1991. This version was released on the Incesticide compilation album in December 1992. In a review for AllMusic, music critic Stephen Thomas Erlewine said of the song "Aneurysm" on Incesticide, that it was "perhaps the greatest single song the group ever recorded". A live performance of "Aneurysm" by Nirvana at Del Mar Fairgrounds, California, in 1991 was later released on the live album From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah in 1996, from which it was a promotional single. The single reached number 11 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart and number 13 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart.
|January 1, 1991||Studio A, The Music Source, Seattle, WA, US||Craig Montgomery||Smells Like Teen Spirit (1991)
With the Lights Out (2004)
Nevermind (deluxe) (2011)
|November 9, 1991||Maida Vale Studios||Mark Goodier||Incesticide (1992)||
|October 31, 1991||Paramount Theatre (Seattle, Washington)||Live at the Paramount (2011)||
|November 25, 1991/
January 23, 1993
(in two parts)
Hollywood Rock Festival in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Live! Tonight! Sold Out!!
(1994 VHS / 2006 DVD)
|December 28, 1991||Del Mar Fairgrounds, California||From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah (1996)||
|August 30, 1992||Reading Festival, England||Live at Reading (2009)||
(From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah version)
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||49|
|Canada Rock/Alternative (RPM)||1|
|Finland Airplay (The Official Finnish Charts)||40|
|US Radio Songs (Billboard)||63|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||11|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||13|
"Muzzle" by The Smashing Pumpkins
|Canadian RPM Alternative 30 number-one single
November 4–18, 1996
"Stinkfist" by Tool
- St Thomas, Kurt and Smith, Troy. pp. 252–253.
- St Thomas, Kurt and Smith, Troy. pp. 242 and 252–253.
- Cross, Charles R. (2012) [1st ed. 2001]. Heavier Than Heaven. A Biography of Kurt Cobain. New York: Hachette. ISBN 1-444-71712-X. ISBN 978-1-44471712-9.
- Crisafulli. pp. 77.
- Cross, Charles. R. Heavier Than Heaven. A Biography of Kurt Cobain. p. 169
- St Thomas, Kurt and Smith, Troy. pp. 79.
- St Thomas, Kurt and Smith, Troy. pp. 118.
- Nirvana - Incesticide - AllMusic review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine allmusic.com. Retrieved May 20, 2016.
- Nirvana - All Music Guide - Awards allmusic.com. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Billboard magazine - September 29, 1996 - p. 104 - "Video Monitor" section americanradiohistory.com. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 9930." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved November 5, 2016.
- "Top RPM Rock/Alternative Tracks: Issue 9847." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved November 5, 2016.
- Pennanen, Timo (2003). Sisältää hitin: levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972. Otava Publishing Company Ltd. ISBN 951-1-21053-X.
- "ANEURYSM". Polskie Radio. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- "Nirvana – Chart history" Billboard Radio Songs for Nirvana.
- "Nirvana – Chart history" Billboard Mainstream Rock Songs for Nirvana.
- "Nirvana – Chart history" Billboard Alternative Songs for Nirvana.
- Azerrad, Michael. Come as You Are: The Story of Nirvana, Doubleday, New York: 1993, ISBN 0-86369-746-1
- Crisafulli, Chuck. Nirvana: The Stories Behind the Songs. Omnibus Press.(1996). ISBN 0-7119-5809-2.
- St Thomas, Kurt and Smith, Troy. Nirvana: The Chosen Rejects. St Martin's Griffin (2004). ISBN 0-312-20663-1.
|on YouTube, NirvanaVEVO|