Ang Li (pianist)
Ang Li (李昂; Li Ang) (born 1985 in Beijing, China) is a Chinese classical pianist.
Ang Li began playing the piano by ear at age one. Ang Li made her first public appearance at Beijing Concert Hall at age six. At age thirteen, she made her orchestral debut with the Little Orchestra Society of New York at Avery Fisher Hall. In 2007, Ms. Li was invited by The China National Center for the Performing Arts to replace pianist Li Yundi in the performance of the Ravel Piano Concerto in G major with the China National Symphony Orchestra. She was re-engaged to perform at that venue with the Beijing Symphony Orchestra in 2008. She has also performed with the Montréal Symphony Orchestra, Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, Staten Island Symphony, The Lanaudière Music Festival Orchestra, City Chamber Orchestra of Hong Kong, American Academy of Conducting Orchestra, and one month prior to performing at Avery Fisher Hall, Ms. Li made her orchestral debut with the Manhattan School of Music Repertory Orchestra.
Li became a Canadian citizen in 2001. She gained national renown after winning the OSM Standard Life Competition, in which she was awarded the First Prize in the B category, Best Interpretation of a Canadian Work Prize, Orchestre symphonique de Montréal Prize, Radio-Canada Prize, Galaxie Rising Stars Award, and the Jeunesses Musicales of Canada Award. Ang Li is a Steinway Artist.
Ang Li has performed on five continents: North and South America, Europe, Australia and Asia. She has appeared at Carnegie Hall, John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, National Arts Centre in Ottawa, Ruïnekerk of Bergen in the Netherlands, Hong Kong City Hall, Forbidden City Concert Hall in Beijing, among others.
Li commissioned and premiered the Canadian-American composer, Jared Miller's newest piano work, "Souvenirs d'Europe." Recently, the piece won the coveted ASCAP Morton Gould Young Composers Award. In this competition, Miller's score and Li's recording were selected out of nearly 700 submissions from across the United States. Ang Li also gave the US premiere of Jerome Blais' work: "Es ist genug!", as well as the India, Hong Kong, mainland China and Scotland premiere of Alexina Louie's Memories In An Ancient Garden.
Broadcast recitals and Recordings
Li's numerous live recital broadcasts by The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation since 2003 include the opening recital for the 2006 NAC/CBC Aber Diamond Debut Series in Ottawa. Li was also featured on WQXR-FM in a simulcast performance at the Instituto Cervantes New York hosted by David Dubal. Li's recital debut in China as part of the 2007 "Meet in Beijing Arts Festival" was televised nationally by China Central Television. Li has also been featured on WBJC, KBIA, American Public Media, CKWR-FM's Women in Music, and CFMZ-FM where she was voted one of the highlights from the best Classical 96.3 "Concert Lobby" performances of 2010. Recordings of her live competition performances at the Twelfth and Thirteenth Van Cliburn International Piano Competition feature works by Brahms, Bowen, Debussy, Granados, Haydn and Liszt. She has also recorded CDs for the China Record Corporation  and Contemporary Record Society.
Li has been featured in publications such as the Piano Artistry, Fort Worth Weekly, Huffington Post, Sequenza21, The Montreal Gazette, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, The Juilliard Journal, The Staten Island Advance, The Saugeen Times, The Hindu, The Indian Express, InDaily Australia, Deccan Herald, La Presse (Canadian newspaper), The New Indian Express, The Hamilton Spectator, among others.
- "Bass Performance Hall: Calendar of Events". Basshall.com. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "bc magazine, hong kong". Bcmagazine.net. Archived from the original on 12 June 2010. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "The first recital of the Aber Diamond Debut Series 2006". OttawaStart.com. 2005-12-21. Archived from the original on 19 October 2013. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- OSM-Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, email@example.com. "Bienvenue à l'Orchestre symphonique de Montréal". Osm.ca. Archived from the original on 15 January 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Steinway Artists: Ang Li". Steinway & Sons. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "Ang Li, Piano - Sunday, December 18, 2011". Carnegie Hall. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- Yvonne Teh. "Ang Li Plays Chopin | South China Morning Post". Scmp.com. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Donna Fish: Artists to Watch". Huffingtonpost.com. 2011-12-20. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Pianist Ang Li - Saturday, February 23, 2013". Artsbrevard.org. Archived from the original on 2013-02-26. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Juilliard | The Juilliard Journal Online | Faculty and Student News". Juilliard.edu. 2012-02-01. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Jérôme Blais » Canadian Music Centre Atlantic Hub". Cmcatlantichub.com. 2012-07-11. Archived from the original on 2013-01-19. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Ang Li, piano - In Concert: Next! - Canada's Classical Music Future from CBC Radio 2". CastRoller. 2010-03-08. Archived from the original on 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Classical Music". KBIA. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Performance Today from American Public Media". Performancetoday.publicradio.org. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Highlights from the best Classical 96.3FM Concert Lobby performances of 2010 | Classical FM 96.3 and 103.1 Canada". Classical963fm.com. 30 December 2010. Archived from the original on 23 November 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Cliburn Gift Shop - Li, Ang - 2009 Preliminary Round Recital". Shop.cliburn.org. Archived from the original on 28 June 2013. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "iTunes - Music - 2005 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition Preliminary Round - Ang Li by Ang Li". Itunes.apple.com. 2005-10-03. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "iTunes - Music - Ang Li by Ang Li". Itunes.apple.com. 2008-06-14. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "无意中获得的震动———听李昂独奏音乐会有感-《钢琴艺术》2007年第08期-吾喜杂志网". Wuxizazhi.cnki.net. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- Kristian (2009-05-25). "Fort Worth Weekly at the Van Cliburn Competition: Ang Li". Fwweekly-vancliburn.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- 23 December 2011 (2011-12-23). "Ang Li presents 2 premieres alongside lots of Liszt". Sequenza21/. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Notes from the Cliburn: Angling for Ang Li". Blogs.star-telegram.com. 2009-05-25. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "The Saugeen Times". The Saugeen Times. 6 October 2011. Archived from the original on 1 February 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- Catherine Rhea Roy (2011-07-23). "FEATURES / METRO PLUS : The right notes". The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Talent on keys". Indian Express. 2011-06-30. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Maestro in the making". Indian Express. 2011-07-05. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "February 27th 2012, Page 1". InDaily. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- DHNS (2011-07-18). "An ode to the classics". Deccanherald.com. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "The 10,000-hour road to mastery". TheSpec.com. 2012-02-18. Retrieved 2012-10-29.