|Paradigm||Multi-paradigm: scripting, imperative (procedural, object-oriented)|
2.34.0 / September 22, 2019
|Typing discipline||static, strong|
AngelScript features static typing, object handles (similar to C++ pointers but garbage collected via reference counting), object-orientation, single inheritance, multiple inheritance with interfaces. Allows operators to be registered and overloaded. AngelScript can be used with any C++ IDE, such as Netbeans, Geany, Eclipse, and also supported by AngelJuice IDE developed specifically for the language.
C and C++ functions can be called within an AngelScript environment. AngelScript's class syntax closely follows C++ classes by design: no proxy functions are required to embed AngelScript in C++ applications easing the two languages integration. There are several differences of AngelScript and C++:
- AngelScript does not support multiple inheritance. Multiple-inheritance functionality may be achieved with Interfaces.
- It is impossible to declare methods or properties outside of the class body.
- All methods (including constructors and destructors) are virtual.
AngelScript is used in video game development, including Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Amy, Dustforce, Gekkeiju Online, King Arthur's Gold, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, Overgrowth, Penumbra: Overture, Penumbra: Requiem, Puddle, Rigs of Rods, Sine Mora, Star Ruler, SuperTuxKart, Warhammer: Mark of Chaos, Warsow, Sven Co-op, Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Plus, Urho3D. AngelScript is used at the University of Ulm in interactive 3D-Animation program.[failed verification] AngelScript is also used in robotics, for example, to program behavioral rules of robotic agents.
- Weinbub, Josef; Rupp, Karl; Selberherr, Siegfried (2010). "ViennaIPD - An Input Control Language for Scientific Computing" (PDF). Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- Golodetz, Stuart (February 2010). "Simplifying the C++/Angelscript Binding Process". ACCU. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- Dickheiser, Michael (2006). Game Programming Gems 6. Charles River Media. ISBN 1584504501.
- Nishimori, Taketoshi; Kuno, Yasushi (May 2012). "Join token: A language mechanism for programming interactive games". Entertainment Computing. 3 (2): 19–25. doi:10.1016/j.entcom.2011.09.001.
- "Applications using AngelScript". AngelCode. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- Orsvärn, Lukas; Riehl, Anton; Rosen, David (November 30, 2014). A good episode. YouTube. Overgrowth Weekly. 86. at 17m 40s. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- "Animal Race". University of Ulm (in German). 2005.
- Brandoff, Josh; Sayama, Hiroki (2009). "Cultural transmission in robotic swarms through RFID cards". 2009 IEEE Symposium on Artificial Life. ALife'09. IEEE. pp. 171–178. doi:10.1109/ALIFE.2009.4937709. ISBN 978-1-4244-2763-5 – via IEEE Xplore.