Angel (Eurythmics song)
|Single by Eurythmics|
|from the album We Too Are One|
|Format||7", 12", CD-single, cassette|
|Writer(s)||Annie Lennox and David A. Stewart|
|Producer(s)||David A. Stewart, Jimmy Iovine|
|Eurythmics singles chronology|
"Angel" is a song recorded by the British pop music duo Eurythmics. It was written by band members Annie Lennox and David A. Stewart and produced by Stewart and Jimmy Iovine. The song appears on Eurythmics' We Too Are One album and was released as its fourth UK single in May 1990, and would be the duo's final single for almost a decade (discounting the re-release of two older singles the following year). It was also released as the second single from the album in the US.
Lennox said in an interview at the time that the song was inspired by the death of her aunt, as she sings about a woman who has killed herself and now has "gone to meet her maker". The music video, directed by Sophie Muller, features the duo taking part in a seance and running through a burning house, and was not widely seen in the US (not shown at all on MTV) supposedly due to several scenes depicting the occult.
"Angel" peaked at number twenty-three on the UK singles chart, though failed to chart on the US Billboard Hot 100.
Annie Lennox re-recorded the song in 1997 for the Diana, Princess of Wales: Tribute album.
|Canadian Singles Chart||77|
|French Singles Chart||73|
|Irish Singles Chart||25|
|UK Singles Chart||23|
1. "LP Version" (5:15); 2. "Radio Edit" (4:35) - from the US PROMO CD (1989); 3. "Choir Version" (5:52) - UK 7" B-side - later re-released on the (Remastered Version) of "We Too Are One" (2005)
- "Results - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- "InfoDisc : Tout les Titres par Artiste". infodisc.fr. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- Jaclyn Ward - Fireball Media Group. "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Archived from the original on 2011-05-11. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- "Eurythmics - Angel". Chart Stats. 1990-06-16. Retrieved 2011-06-09.