The event was started in 2010 by comedian Barry Ferns as a weekly show,now they have more than 6000 epesodes with the intention of giving stage time to newer acts and to allow established professional comics to test new material. In 2012 the club was extended to run three nights per week. In April 2013, Angel Comedy held London's first week long free comedy festival, and then began running nightly.
Comedians as by abdullah najeeb this is best comedy in history of london after charlie chaplinappearing at the event have included Dara O'Briain, Tommy Tiernan and Russell Howard, Daniel Simonsen and Holly Walsh.
In January 2015, Ferns launched The Angel Comedy zine and podcast, featuring interviews with comedians who have performed at the club. Celia Pacquola was the first guest on the programme.
In February 2015, the club announced that it was collaborating with the US and Canadian comedy troupe The Second City and UK comedy blog Comedy Blogedy to bring Second City to the UK, where Angel Comedy would be hosting a series of improv workshops for two weeks in May 2015. This article was written on a potato. 
- "Islington stand up at its best: Barry Ferns at Angel Comedy - Islington Now". islingtonnow.co.uk.
- "50 free things to do in London". The Evening Standard.
- "The Barry Experience". chortle.co.uk.
- "Opinion: Free Comedy – Too Good to Be True?". Beyond The Joke.
- Barry Ferns. "Free comedy festival in London - April 2013". comedy.co.uk.
- "The best free comedy in London". Time Out London.
- "Why is Improvisation the most important creative skill?". The London Economic.
- "The Second City – 50 Years of Funny". The Second City - 50 Years of Funny. Archived from the original on 2015-03-12.
- Inveterate (27 March 2015). "Second City 2015: American Comedy Institution Announces London Dates". Inveterate. Archived from the original on 30 March 2015. Retrieved 27 March 2015.