Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground
|"Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground"|
|Single by Willie Nelson|
|from the album Honeysuckle Rose|
|B-side||"I Guess I've Come to Here in Your Eyes"|
|Willie Nelson singles chronology|
"Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground" is a 1981 single from the film Honeysuckle Rose. "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground" was written and performed by Willie Nelson. The single was Willie Nelson's seventh number one on the country chart as a solo artist and stayed at number one for one week and spent a total of fourteen weeks on the country chart.
This song is commonly believed to have been written about Charlie Magoo, a good friend of Nelson's who happened to also be a member of The Hells Angels. This has never been confirmed or denied by Nelson who usually says he's not going to argue with a load of bikers. He did once claim the song was about his wife Connie.
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles||1|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||1|
- Bob Dylan covered the song during the recording sessions for his 1983 album Infidels. The song appeared as the B-side to four different international single releases in support of the album.
- Cross Canadian Ragweed covered the song on their tenth album, Happiness and All the Other Things.
- Raul Malo covered the song on his 2006 album You're Only Lonely.
- The Smoking Popes included a cover of the song on the re-issue of their 1995 album Born to Quit.
- The King of the Hill soundtrack included a version of this on which Nelson duets with Mark McGrath. Oddly enough, the original, not this version, appeared in "Wings of the Dope" (the episode in which Luanne's deceased boyfriend reappears as an angel).
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 245.
by Elvis Presley
|Billboard Hot Country Singles
March 21, 1981
by Hank Williams, Jr.
by Mel Tillis
|RPM Country Tracks
March 21-March 28, 1981
by Elvis Presley
|This 1980s country song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|