Angel Haze performing in October 2012
|Birth name||Raykeea Roes Wilson|
July 10, 1992 |
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.
Raykeea Roes Wilson (born July 10, 1992), better known by the stage name Angel Haze, is an American rapper and singer. In 2012, Haze released the EP Reservation for online and later signed a record deal with Universal Republic Records before it converted to Republic Records. On December 31, 2013, Haze released the debut album Dirty Gold, which features the singles "Echelon (It's My Way)" and "Battle Cry". In 2015 the project Back to the Woods was made available as a free download.
Raykeea Roes Wilson was born on July 10, 1992, in Detroit, Michigan to a military family. Wilson is a mix of African and Native American ancestry and a self-taught speaker of Tsalagi. Haze was raised in the Greater Apostolic Faith, but is no longer practicing. An interview with The Guardian, stated: "we all lived in the same community, within 10 minutes of each other. You weren't allowed to talk to anyone outside of that, you weren't allowed to wear jewelry, listen to music, to eat certain things, to date people...you weren't allowed to do pretty much anything." However, after a pastor threatened Wilson's mother, the family left the church and moved to Brooklyn, New York when Haze was 16 years old. Haze soon began delving into the world of secular music.
From 2009 to 12, Haze released a series of mixtapes for free download on the Internet: New Moon, Altered Ego, King, and Voice. In July 2012, Haze released the free mixtape Reservation to critical acclaim, receiving an 88/100 score from Metacritic. On December 9, the BBC announced that Haze had been nominated for the Sound of 2013 poll.
On August 28, 2013, Haze released "Echelon (It's My Way)" as the lead single from the debut album, Dirty Gold, and leaked the entire album on December 18, 2013. The album was supposedly scheduled for a March 2014 release. Dirty Gold was finally released through Island Records and Republic Records on December 30, 2013, to positive reviews but low first-week sales  of 857 copies in the United Kingdom and less than 1,000 copies in the United States. On September 14, 2015, Haze released the mixtape Back to the Woods announcing that the project was just "something to share before a sophomore". 
Haze identifies as pansexual and as agender. In an interview with The Guardian, Haze stated that, "Love is boundary-less. If you can make me feel, if you can make me laugh – and that's hard – then I can be with you. I don't care if you have a vagina or if you're a hermaphrodite or whatever."
In 2014, Haze indicated a romantic involvement with Ireland Baldwin, while Baldwin posted an Instagram image of herself and Haze captioned, "[Y]eah it's national girlfriend day... so of course."
- Dirty Gold (2013)
|2015||Catfish: The TV Show||Themself (Co-host)||Season 4 - Episode 3|
Awards and nominations
|2012||MTV||Brand New For 2013||Themself||Nominated|
|BBC||Sound of 2013||Third|
|2013||Popdust||Next Pop Superstar of 2013||Themself||Nominated|
|O Music Awards||Best Web-Born Artist|
|2014||BET Awards||Best Female Hip Hop Artist|
|MTV Video Music Awards||Best Video with a Social Message||"Battle Cry"|
|2015||GLAAD Media Awards||Outstanding Music Artist||Themself|
- "Azealia Banks and Angel Haze trade shots on Twitter". Rap-Up.com. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- "AngelHaze: July 10th RT @azurita_3: I'm". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-12-04.[dead link]
- Macpherson, Alex (January 31, 2013). "Rapper Angel Haze on religion, rape, and survival". The Guardian (London). Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- "New Music: Angel Haze – ‘No Bueno’". Rap-Up.com. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- "Angel Haze: Cleaning Out My Closet". TheRealAngelHaze. 2012-10-23. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "Reviews for Reservation [Mixtape] by Angel Haze - Metacritic". Metacritic.
- "Sound of 2013 Profiles: Angel Haze". BBC. 2012-12-09. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "Angel Haze Says ‘F**k You’ to Label, Leaks their Album". Rap-Up.
- "Reviews for Dirty Gold by Angel Haze - Metacritic". Metacritic.
- "Angel Haze Isn't Bothered By Her Low Record Sales - XXL". XXL.
- "Angel Haze's Dirty Gold sold 857 copies first week in the UK, not the Billboard 200 - FACT Magazine: Music News, New Music.". FACT Magazine: Music News, New Music.
- "Stream: Angel Haze's new project Back to the Woods". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- Osorio, Kim (2012-07-05). "Angel Haze: What This Up-And-Coming Female MC Says Will Make You Listen". The Source.
- Hoby, Hermione (2012-09-01). "Angel Haze: 'Right now, no one can beat me'". The Guardian (London).
- Alexander, Ella (June 27, 2014). "Angel Haze on Ireland Baldwin: 'An interracial gay couple, I mean that’s just weird for America right now'". The Independent (UK). Archived from the original on April 9, 2015. Retrieved April 28, 2014.
- Baldwin, Ireland. "yeah it's national girlfriend day... so of course". Instagram. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- "Angel Haze on "Catfish" and helping a homophobic mom love her bisexual daughter on "Truce" - AfterEllen". AfterEllen.
- "MTV's Brande New For 2013 Nominees announced". MTV. 2012-11-28. Retrieved January 14, 2013.
- "BBC Sound of 2013: Angel Haze". BBC. 2013-01-02. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- "VOTE NOW! Help Decide The Next Pop Superstar of 2013!".
- "Best Web-Born Artist". Viacom. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Best Female Hip Hop Artist". BET.
- "2014 MTV Video Music Awards Nominations: Get The Full List". MTV. 2014-07-17. Retrieved 2014-08-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Angel Haze.|