Angel of Grief
Angel of Grief is an 1894 sculpture by William Wetmore Story which serves as the grave stone of the artist and his wife at the Protestant Cemetery, Rome. The term is now used to describe multiple grave stones throughout the world erected in the style of the Story stone.
- British Columbia
- Remillard family monument, Notre-Dame-des-Neiges Cemetery in Mt. Royal Park, Montreal 
- Steen monument, Oakland Cemetery, Little Rock 
- Chapel of the Chimes, Hayward
- Dr. Mary S. Ertl monument (cenotaph?), Inglewood Park Cemetery, Inglewood 
- Henry Lathrop monument, Stanford Arboretum, Stanford University. Brother to Jane Stanford, Stanford University co-founder. The original replica was built in 1901, but was severely damaged in the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, leading to its replacement in 1908. After years of neglect, the 1908 replacement was fully restored in 2001. 
- Jennie Roosevelt Pool monument, Cypress Lawn Memorial Park, Colma. Cousin of Theodore Roosevelt. 
- Simpson family monument, Chico Cemetery, Chico 
- Maria Hooper monument, Hingham Cemetery, Hingham 
- New Jersey
- Marion Groze Monument, Cedar Hill Cemetery, Florence 
- New York
- Rhode Island
- Desrochers monument, Precious Blood Cemetery, Woonsocket 
- Blakeney monument, Grove Hill Cemetery, Dallas 
- Davila monument, Holy Cross Cemetery, Waco 
- Rosa Lee Eissler monument, Prairie Lea Cemetery, Brenham 
- Pastore family monument, Calvary Cemetery, Denison 
- William Youree monument, Scottsville-Youree Cemetery, Scottsville. Son of Shreveport banker Peter Youree. 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Angel of Grief (sculpture).|
Reproductions in popular culture
- Album Covers
- Bliss, Harry A., Memorial Art, Ancient and Modern, Harry A Bliss, Monument Photographer, Buffalo N.Y., 1912 p176
- Brown, John Gary, Soul in the Stone: Cemetery Art From America's Heartland, University of Kansas Press, Lawrence, Kansas, 1994
- Culbertson Randall, Permanent Californians: An Illustrated Guide to the Cemeteries of California, Chelsea Green Publishing Company, Chelsea Vermont, 1989
- Christovich, Huber, McDowell, photographs by Betsy Swanson, New Orleans Architecture, Volume lll: the Cemeteries, Pelican Publishing Co., Gretna, 1997
- Gillon, Edmond V., Victorian Cemetery Art, Dover Publications Inc., New York, 1972
- Kvaran, Einar Einarsson, America's Cemetery Sculpture, unpublished manuscript
- Richman, Jeff, author of Brooklyn’s Green-Wood Cemetery New York’s Buried Treasure, phone interview with E. E. Kvaran, September 2006
- "Labor of Love Leads to a Happy Ending for "Angel of Grief"". Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- "Angel of Grief Restoration". Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- "A photo of the Memorial after the 1906 quake, showing the fallen canopy.".
- "Mary E. & D. Eugene FREY". Retrieved 2013-01-05.