Angela Cartwright, November 2005
|Born||Angela Margaret Cartwright
September 9, 1952
Altrincham, Cheshire, England
|Spouse(s)||Steve Gullion (m. 1976)|
Angela Margaret Cartwright (born September 9, 1952) is an English-born American actress primarily known for her roles in movies and television. Cartwright is best known as a child actress for her role as Brigitta Von Trapp in the Academy Award winning film The Sound of Music (1965). On television, she played Linda in the 1950s TV series Make Room For Daddy, and Penny Robinson in the 1960s television series Lost in Space. Her older sister is actress Veronica Cartwright.
Early life and career
Angela Cartwright was born in Altrincham, Cheshire, England. She made her first film appearance at three years old as Paul Newman's daughter in Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956), and appeared with Rock Hudson and Sidney Poitier in Something of Value (1957). After moving to the United States, Cartwright appeared for seven seasons in the TV series Make Room For Daddy.
Cartwright returned to Europe to play the role of Brigitta von Trapp in The Sound of Music (1965). Filmed on location, the film won five Academy Awards including Best Picture, the Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy and eclipsed the Gone with the Wind (1939) as the highest-grossing film of all-time. The Sound of Music soundtrack was nominated for a Grammy Award and holds the distinction of being the longest running Billboard Magazine top 10 album in history at 109 weeks.
Returning to television, Cartwright played Penny Robinson in the TV series Lost in Space (1965–68). She made appearances on several TV shows including My Three Sons, Adam-12, and The Love Boat. She was also cast in the television movies Scout's Honor (1980) and played the role of Miss D'Angelo in High School U.S.A. (1983). In her most recent feature film roles, she played Theresa Mazzetti in, Beyond the Poseidon Adventure (1979), directed by Lost in Space producer Irwin Allen and made a cameo appearance as Reporter #2 in the 1998 Lost in Space film.
Cartwright married Steve Gullion in 1976. They have two children, Jesse and Rebecca Gullion. She has been a photographer for 30 years. Her fine art is displayed at her studio in Studio City, Los Angeles.
A partial listing of Angela Cartwright's appearances in movies and television appears below.
- 1957–65: Make Room For Daddy
- 1958: The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour
- 1958: Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse
- 1958: Whirlybirds
- 1959: The Ford Show, Starring Tennessee Ernie Ford
- 1960: Alfred Hitchcock Presents
- 1960: Shirley Temple's Storybook
- 1961: The Red Skelton Show
- 1965: The John Forsythe Show
- 1965–68: Lost in Space
- 1965–69: My Three Sons
- 1967: The Danny Thomas Hour
- 1970–71: Make Room for Granddaddy
- 1971: Adam-12
- 1972: Room 222
- 1977: Logan's Run ("The Collectors")
- 1980: Scout's Honor
- 1982: The Love Boat
- 1983: High School U.S.A.
- 1985: Airwolf
- 2015: Bosch
Books & Publications
Pasticcio quartz is a bi-annual journal (art Zine) written and published by Sarah Fishburn and Angela Cartwright. Issue Number 1 was 52, full-color glossy 8.5 by 8.5 inch, pages and was published on July 23, 2007. The most current, 60 page issue (Number 15: January 10, 2014), retains the size and full-color attributes.
- In This House: A Collection of Altered Art Imagery and Collage Techniques (2007)
- Mixed Emulsions: Altered Art Techniques for Photographic Imagery (2007)
- In This Garden: Exploration in Mixed-Media Visual Narrative (2009)
- "Lineage: A Personal & Private Journey", Somerset Studio magazine (Mar/Apr 2014) 
- Styling the Stars: Lost Treasures from the Twentieth Century Fox Archive (2014) 
- Bozzola, Lucia. "Angela Cartwright: Biography". AllMovie. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Angela Cartwright". MetaCritic. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- Eder, Bruce. "Make Room for Daddy [TV Series] (1953)". AllMovie. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- Haydon, John (8 September 2012). "The List: Who is Angela Cartwright?". The Washington Times. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Sound of Music Cast & Crew". AllMovie. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "The Sound of Music-shooting locations". 2007. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- Montgomery, James (30 August 2012). "Adele’s 21 Drops Out Of Billboard Top 10". MTV. Archived from the original on 25 September 2014. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- Erickson, Hal. "Lost in Space [TV Series] (1965)". AllMovie. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- acartwrightstudio.com She has recently become a grandmother./
- Fishburn, Sarah; Cartwright, Angels, eds. (23 July 2007). "Pasticcio quartz" 1. cARTwright & fiShburn. ISSN 1941-949X. OCLC 221333550. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- In This House: A Collection of Altered Art Imagery and Collage Techniques (Paperback and Kindle). Quarry Books. 1 July 2007. ASIN B003F771MA.
- Mixed Emulsions: Altered Art Techniques for Photographic Imagery (Paperback and Kindle). Quarry Books. 1 November 2007. ISBN 1592533698.
- In This Garden: Exploration in Mixed-Media Visual Narrative (Paperback and Kindle). Quarry Books. 1 April 2009. ISBN 159253516X.
- "Somerset Studio Mar/Apr 2014" (Magazine). Stampington & Company. 1 March 2014.
- Styling the Stars: Lost Treasures from the Twentieth Century Fox Archive (Hardcover). Insight Editions. 7 October 2014. ISBN 1608872572.
- King, Susan (4 October 2014). "Classic Hollywood Actors ready for close-ups in 'Styling the Stars". The Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
Cartwright came up with the idea for "Styling the Stars" when she was in the Fox archives in Century City, looking for pictures for the 2011 book "The Sound of Music Family Scrapbook."
- Robertson, Nicole (2 October 2014). "New book reveals stars behind the scenes at Fox Studio". The Oakland Press. Archived from the original on 8 October 2014. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "IBPA 2015 Benjamin Franklin Awards™ Winners". Independent Book Publishers Association. 11 April 2015. Archived from the original on 31 May 2015. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Angela Cartwright.|