|35th Lieutenant Governor of Montana|
February 17, 2014 – January 3, 2016
|Preceded by||John Walsh|
|Succeeded by||Mike Cooney|
|Chairperson of the Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education|
January 19, 2012 – February 17, 2014
|Preceded by||Clayton Christian|
|Succeeded by||Paul Tuss (Acting)|
August 19, 1970 |
Twin Bridges, Montana, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Montana, Western
University of Montana, Missoula
Angela McLean (born August 19, 1970) is an American politician and educator who served as the 31st Lieutenant Governor of Montana from February 10, 2014 to January 3, 2016. Governor Steve Bullock, a Democrat, selected McLean in 2014 to replace newly appointed U.S. Senator John Walsh after appointing Walsh to the vacancy created by Senator Max Baucus's resignation.
She was sworn in as Montana's new Lieutenant Governor by District Judge Ray Dayton on February 17, 2014. She was the first teacher and the second woman to serve as the state's Lieutenant Governor. Judy Martz previously served as Montana's Lt. Governor from 1997 to 2001.
McLean was chairwoman of the Montana Board of Regents from January 2012 to February 2014. She has also served on the Montana Board of Public Education. She taught American history and government at Anaconda High School. She was originally from Twin Bridges, Montana. She also has taught as an adjunct professor at Montana Tech of the University of Montana.
After her succession to the post of Lieutenant Governor, fellow Regent Paul Tuss was named the acting Chair.
In November 2015 McLean announced her resignation as lieutenant governor, effective upon the appointment of her successor, in order to accept the position of director of American Indian and minority achievement in the office of the state commissioner of higher education.
McLean graduated from Twin Bridges High School and became the first person in her family to graduate college. She earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Montana Western and a master's degree in curriculum and instruction at the University of Montana. She is married to Mike McLean, an attorney. The couple have two children, Colin and Ellen.
- Johnson, Charles S. (2014-02-10). "Bullock names regents chair as new lieutenant governor". Missoulian. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- "Anaconda teacher named Lt. Gov.". Montana Standard. February 10, 2014. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- Michels, Holly (December 30, 2015). "Mike Cooney chosen as Montana's next lieutenant governor". Helena Independent Record. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Minutes for the Montana Board of Regents January 19-20, 2012 Meeting at the University of Montana – Helena College of Technology" (PDF). University of Montana System. 2012-01-21. Retrieved 2014-05-25.
- "McLean appointment leaves two vacancies on state Board of Regents". Independent Record. February 10, 2014. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "Who is Angela McLean? Education policy expert, say colleagues". Independent Record. February 10, 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- Standard, MIKE SMITH Montana. "New Montana lieutenant governor knows education policy, officials say". missoulian.com. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- Dennison, Mike (November 30, 2015). "Lt. Gov. McLean resigning to take higher-ed job". KRTV-TV. Great Falls, MT.
|Lieutenant Governor of Montana
|This article about a Montana politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|