Angela Nicole Walker
Angela Nicole Walker
|Born||January 19, 1974|
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Education||University of North Florida|
|Branch/service||United States Army|
|Unit||United States Army Reserve|
Angela Nicole Walker (born January 19, 1974) is an American activist, professional driver, and labor organizer. Walker was the vice-presidential nominee of the Green Party of the United States and Socialist Party USA for the 2020 election alongside presidential nominee Howie Hawkins. She was previously the vice-presidential nominee of the Socialist Party USA for the 2016 election alongside presidential nominee Mimi Soltysik.
Walker ran for political office for the first time in 2014 as an independent socialist for sheriff of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin. Walker describes herself as a socialist in the tradition of Fred Hampton and Assata Shakur.
Angela Walker was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where she lived primarily in the inner city Northside neighborhood. Walker graduated from Bay View High School. While in high school, Walker helped organize students in support of a Black History course at Bay View, which was successful. She studied history at the University of North Florida but dropped out in her final year because she "could make more money as a bus driver than as a teacher."
Walker worked for two years as a driver for Greyhound Lines. Describing her life as an "odyssey," Walker then moved to North Carolina, where she married and moved back to Florida. She moved back to Milwaukee in 2009 and was hired as a driver for the Milwaukee County Transit System.
In 2011, she became legislative director for her local in the Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU), which represented transit system drivers; her position coincided with the rise of the anti-labor union Tea Party and the election of Scott Walker as Wisconsin's 45th Governor. Angela Walker was active in the Occupy movement, which the ATU supported. She stepped down from the legislative director position in October 2013.
Walker worked as a bus driver for over 14 years. Walker is currently employed as a dump truck driver.
In 2014, Walker ran against incumbent Democrat and Fox News pundit David A. Clarke Jr. During her campaign for sheriff in Milwaukee, Walker called for an end to mass incarceration, evictions, and anti-immigrant policing. She received approximately 20 percent of the vote.
In March 2016, Walker stated that she had been recruited to be the Socialist Party USA vice-presidential nominee by her future running-mate, Mimi Soltysik, following her campaign for sheriff. Walker and Soltysik were nominated at the Socialist Party National Convention in Walker's hometown of Milwaukee, Wisconsin in October 2015. Soltysik-Walker appeared on the ballot in Colorado, Guam and Michigan as well as official write-in candidates in many other states during the general election.
On May 5, 2020, Green Party presidential candidate and Socialist Party USA presidential nominee Howie Hawkins announced Walker had accepted his offer to be his running mate. On July 11, Walker was formally nominated as the Green Party's vice-presidential nominee. She was the second African-American vice-presidential nominee of the Green Party and the first from the state of South Carolina.
Walker is a vegetarian and bisexual.
|2016 United States presidential election results |
Socialist Party nominee for Vice President
|State or Territory||Percent||Vote total||On Ballot or Write-in|
- "About Angela Walker". howiehawkins.us. Howie Hawkins 2020. 9 May 2020. Retrieved 24 June 2020.
- "About Angela Walker". Retrieved May 10, 2020.
- "Angela Walker for Vice President!". Howie Hawkins for President. 5 May 2020. Retrieved 5 May 2020.
- Saturn, William (5 May 2020). "Howie Hawkins Announces Running Mate". Independent Political Report. Retrieved 6 May 2020.
- Shannon, Brooke. ""Town Hall" Interview with Socialist Party USA's Vice Presidential Candidate Angela Nicole Walker". The Socialist. Archived from the original on 13 September 2016. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- Pollock, Tracey (June 18, 2014). "Angela Walker, "Free Range Socialist," Runs for Sheriff in Milwaukee". Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "Meet five Black and Brown Southerners running for office to change the system". Scalawag. 2 June 2020.
- Carico, John (June 18, 2016). "Interview With Socialist Party USA Vice Presidential Candidate Angela Walker". The Fifth Column News. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Milwaukee All-Star: Activist Angela Walker". OnMilwaukee.com. March 29, 2015. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- Winger, Richard (2015-10-17). "Socialist Party National Ticket Nominated". Ballot Access News. Retrieved 2016-05-10.
- "Angela Walker for Vice President!". May 5, 2020.
- Saturn, William (May 5, 2020). "Howie Hawkins Announces Running Mate".
- Holmes, Juwan J. (2020-09-24). "Angela Walker is a proud bisexual truck driver promising to bring "trouble" to the White House". LGBTQ Nation. Retrieved 2020-09-27.
- "November 4, 2014 Election Results for City of Milwaukee Wards". City of Milwaukee. November 4, 2014. Retrieved May 2, 2020.
- As a territory, Guam does not have any electoral college votes and is thus not counted in the official Federal Election Commission totals