Readman grew up in Middlesbrough, following university in Manchester she relocated to Newcastle upon Tyne to complete a film studies MA. She completed a masters in creative writing at the University of Northumbria in 2000, and won a Waterstones prize for her distinctive poetry and prose
Angela Readman won the International Rubery Book Award in 2015 for her book of short stories, 'Don't Try This at Home'. Her story 'The Keeper of the Jackalopes' won the Costa Short Story Award (2013) and her story 'Don't Try This At Home' was shortlisted for the same competition the previous year. In 2013, Readman won first prize in the Mslexia Women's Poetry Competition, judged by Kathleen Jamie. She won the National Flash Fiction Contest, and the Essex Poetry Prize in 2012 and was placed second in the first Short Story Competition in 2011. She has won New Writing North awards, and won the Ragged Raven longer poems competition . In 2005 she won The Biscuit Poetry competition and publication of a collection Sex with Elvis.
Readman has published two full length collections of poetry (of 60 pages or more) and several shorter collections of work (including the bi-lingual Hard Core, with Finnish poet Tapani Kinnunen - translated into Finnish.) She was involved with The Flesh of the Bear Poetry exchange in 2004, which was a collaboration of Finnish poets and poets from the North East of England, including Bob Beagrie, Andy Willoughby, Esa Hirvonen, and Kalle Niinikangas.
Her work has appeared in various anthologies and magazines, including London Magazine, Staple, Ambit and Mslexia.
- Strip (Salt Publishing) 2007
- Hard Core (Ek Zuban) 2006
- Sex with Elvis (Biscuit Publishing) 2005
- Colours/Colors (Diamond Twig) 2000
- Unholy Trinity (Iron Press) 2001
- Once Upon There Was a Traveller (the asham award winners anthology),(Virago, 2013)
- Root (Iron Press, 2013)
- Unthology 3 (Unthanked Books, 2012)
- The Robin Hood Book (Caparison, 2012)
- Magnetic North (New Writing North, 2005)
- Smelter (Mudfog) 2004
- The Flesh of the Bear (Ek Zuban)
- Under the Bridge (University of Northumbria Press) 2000
Descriptions of work
"Readman casts her eye on ordinary life with a sharp knife. This is witty, astute poetry of the inventive kind and feels important, as all good poetry should… Poetry with an edge" Julia Darling
"Angela Readman’s work is a carefully stitched embroidery of the familiar and the often overlooked or taken for granted- she makes pictures that stay in your mind long after the poem has been read. Sharply observant, dry, savage and wholly authentic." Joolz Denby
- Angela Readman
- "Costa Short Story Award". Costa Book Awards. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- Mslexia Poetry Competition Archived September 27, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- New Writing North awards Archived August 21, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Sex with Elvis Archived November 12, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- The Flesh of the Bear Archived August 24, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Newcastle Stories Archived August 14, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Frieda Hughes publishes Angela Readman poem in the Times newspaper