This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Life and career
Born in Templin, Winkler trained to be a medical technologist in Stuttgart. Interested in theater, she went to Munich, where she took acting classes with Ernst Fritz Fürbringer. In 1967, she had her first role at the theater in Kassel.
In 1969, she played the lead role in Peter Fleischmann's film Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern. After seeing this film, Peter Stein offered her a position at the Berliner Schaubühne. Winkler performed in Berlin from 1971 to 1978.
Her next film, The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, directed by Volker Schlöndorff and Margarethe von Trotta, made her a star in 1975. For the role of Katharina Blum, she received the Filmband in Gold. In 1979, she won international fame as the mother of Oskar Matzerath in Schlöndorff's Oscar-winning film The Tin Drum.
Winkler lives with sculptor Wiegand Wittig and has four children.
- Hunting Scenes from Bavaria (1969)
- The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum (1975)
- Die Linkshändige Frau (1978) Director: Peter Handke
- Messer im Kopf (1978) Director: Reinhard Hauff
- Germany in Autumn (1978)
- The Tin Drum (1979)
- Letzte Liebe (1979)
- La provinciale (1981)
- Danton (1983)
- Heller Wahn (1983)
- Ediths Tagebuch (1983)
- De grens (1984)
- Bronsteins Kinder (1991)
- Benny's Video (1992)
- Der Kopf des Mohren (1995)
- Die Bubi Scholz Story (1998)
- Das Geheimnis im Moor (2006)
- Die Flucht
- Ferien (2007)
- House of the Sleeping Beauties (2008)
- Three (2010)
- Hell (2011)
- Clouds of Sils Maria (2014)
- Dark (2017)
- Suspiria (2018)
- 1996 The Cherry Orchard by Anton Chekhov (Burgtheater, Wien) Director: Peter Zadek
- 1999 Hamlet by Shakespeare (Wiener Festwochen) Director: Peter Zadek
- 2000 Rosmersholm by Henrik Ibsen (as Rebekka, Burgtheater, Wien) Director: Peter Zadek
- 2002 Anatol by Arthur Schnitzler (as Gabriele, Burgtheater, Wien) Director: Luc Bondy
- 2003 The Night of the Iguana by Tennessee Williams (as Hannah Jelkes, Burgtheater, Wien) Director: Peter Zadek
- 2003 Mutter Courage und ihre Kinder by Bertolt Brecht (as Mutter Courage, Deutsches Theater Berlin) Director: Peter Zadek
- 2004 Peer Gynt by Henrik Ibsen (as Aase, Berliner Ensemble) Director: Peter Zadek
- 2005 The Winter's Tale by Shakespeare (as Paulina, Berliner Ensemble) Director: Robert Wilson
- 2007 Die Dreigroschenoper by Bertolt Brecht (as Jenny, Berliner Ensemble) Director: Robert Wilson
- Canby, Vincent (January 1, 1986). "'Edith's Diary', at the Public". New York Times. Retrieved December 8, 2015.