Yee in 2013
January 3, 1976 (Age 45)
|Show||The Breakfast Club (co-host)|
|Time slot||6:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.|
|Previous show(s)||The Morning After|
Angela Yee is an American radio personality. She hosts the nationally syndicated morning show The Breakfast Club along with DJ Envy and Charlamagne tha God. Yee is on the Board of Governors of the We Are Family Foundation and a board member of the American Foundation for the University of the West Indies. She is also the first-ever ambassador for the New York Public Library system. Since 2019, she has served as the BSE Global Diversity, Inclusion, and Community Engagement Ambassador.
Early life, education and career
Angela Yee was born to a Chinese father and an Afro-Montserratian mother and raised in Flatbush. Yee attended Poly Prep in Brooklyn, entering through Prep for Prep. For her collegiate career, she attended Wesleyan University, majoring in English and graduating in 1997. She pursued employment in marketing and music after completing her studies. She garnered an internship with Wu-Tang Management to assist the CEO, Divine. She also wrote all the skits on GZA's third studio album Beneath the Surface.
She then worked for Paul Rosenberg and Eminem's clothing company Shady Limited and saw an opportunity at Sirius Satellite Radio's marketing department. She asked Rosenberg if he could get her an interview because he had the connections through Shade 45. Rosenberg then said to her, "Well, you know what, they're looking for a female on the morning show, why don't you try it out and see if it works for you?"
She hosted Lip Service and The Morning After with Angela Yee on Eminem's radio station, Shade 45, at Sirius Satellite Radio. She started her radio career at Sirius in 2005 as the co-host for The Cipha Sounds Effect. When Cipha Sounds left Sirius in July 2008, Yee took over the hosting duties full-time and the show was renamed the Shade 45 Morning Show Starring Angela Yee, and finally the name changed to The Morning After with Angela Yee.
In December 2010, Yee left Shade 45 and began hosting The Breakfast Club on Power 105.1, alongside DJ Envy and Charlamagne tha God. The show is known for being candid and asking tough questions to artists.
Yee worked as a correspondent for MTV2's Sucker Free. She was a featured cast member on the 2013 VH1 reality show The Gossip Game. The show spotlights seven NY women in the radio and blogging industry. The Breakfast Club show debuted on Revolt on March 31, 2014. On March 21, 2020, Yee was featured on BET's Being series in the episode titled "Being: Angela Yee", a look into her daily life.
Yee managed recording artists GZA, Jay Electronica, and most notably, 360, who propelled her management skills to the spotlight. She helped facilitate Jay Electronica's deal with Jay Z's Roc Nation. In 2016, Yee opened the fourth branch of her juice bar chain, Juices for Life, in Bedford-Stuyvesant, around the corner from her home. Her business partners are DJ Envy, one of her two co-hosts on The Breakfast Club, and Styles P. In 2017, Yee partnered with Simon and Schuster/Atria Books to start a book club, called Kickin' It From the Stoop, to promote reading and literature. In 2018, Yee became the first-ever ambassador for the New York Public Library system. In January 2020, Yee hosted the Giving Gracefully Awards, an awards night that honors philanthropy among Olympic athletes and public figures.
Yee is involved with a variety of philanthropic efforts. Beginning in 2013, Yee became involved with Dress for Success, an organization that provides disadvantaged women with professional attire as well as career development skills and support. Also in 2013, Yee posed for a breast cancer awareness campaign created by the organization Hairless 4 Her Awareness. In 2013, Yee became involved with Coats for Kids, an organization dedicated to bringing winter coats to children in need. In 2015, Yee hosted the 33rd Annual Coat for Kids Fundraiser and in subsequent years was present to hand-deliver coats and take photos with children and their families. Additionally in 2015, Yee served as host of the second annual Children Making Strides Against Childhood Cancer event. In December 2018, she teamed up with the National Black Justice Coalition to bring awareness to World AIDS Day. Also in 2018, Yee began hosting Run With Yee, a monthly 5K run in New York's Prospect Park, with the goal of promoting healthy lifestyles.
Awards and honors
- MIW Airblazer Award (2020)
- Gracie Award (2020)
- Gracie Award (2019)
- Vice Chancellor’s Achievement Award, bestowed by the American Foundation for the University of West Indies (AFUWI)
- In 2018, New York City mayor Bill DeBlasio declared August 28 as Angela Yee Day.
- In 2018, the New York Public Library named Yee as their first-ever ambassador.
- WEEN Mission Award (2014)
- Shirley Chisolm Woman of Distinction Award
- Baker, Soren (March 26, 2014). "Angela Yee Discusses Declining Hot 97 Job & "The Breakfast Club Show" On REVOLT". Hip Hop DX. Retrieved August 31, 2014.
- "I Got A Story To Tell: Angela Yee Got the Juice". Brooklyn Magazine. April 3, 2018. Retrieved January 27, 2021.
- "Get To Know Angela Yee". TeamYee.tv. January 10, 2013. Archived from the original on August 26, 2014. Retrieved August 31, 2014.
- NvisionChannel. "Angela Yee Exclusive Interview With WMDSF Magazine "MUST SEE"" – via YouTube.
- "Eminem's Uncut Hip-Hop Channel – Hip-Hop/R&B – Music – Shade 45 – SiriusXM Satellite Radio – SiriusXM 2011". Archived from the original on November 3, 2005.
- "Lip Service!". VIBE. Archived from the original on July 26, 2011. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- "Premiere Networks Launches "Weekends with The Breakfast Club" Nationwide". March 28, 2013. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "Weekends with The Breakfast Club". March 26, 2013. Archived from the original on September 14, 2013. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "The Breakfast Club". Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- 10/5/10 (October 5, 2010). "Sucker Free Exclusive: DJ Drama On His Relationship With The Aphilliates | Video". MTV. Retrieved August 19, 2011.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Marlowe, Scott (September 23, 2013). "'Mass Appeal' Features Angela Yee". TeamYee.tv. Archived from the original on November 8, 2014. Retrieved August 31, 2014.