Angelica Nwandu (born 1991) is the founder of The Shade Room, an Instagram-based media company focused on celebrity gossip; The site has since branched out into covering politics and focusing on black culture news. The Shade Room has over 15 million subscribers across all platforms. Nwandu was dubbed "The Oprah of our generation" by Refinery 29 and a Celebrity Culture Savant by Complex. Time Magazine named TSR in the 30 most influential on the internet in 2016. The New York Times called The Shade Room "Instagram's TMZ."
The Shade Room
In 2016, Forbes named Nwandu to its 30 Under 30 list, saying she "revolutionized celebrity gossip" with the founding of The Shade Room. Cosmopolitan reports that The Shade Room's followers across platforms now total more than eight million people. TechCrunch named her to its list of "18 Female Founders Who Killed It in 2015" and BuzzFeed says Nwandu is "figuring things out faster than everyone else."
Nwandu has also been a Sundance Fellow and Time Warner HBO Fellow 2014 selected for the January 2014 Screenwriters Lab. The project, developed with co-writer Jordana Spiro, is called Night Comes On. It premiered at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival where it won the NEXT Innovator award. Samuel Goldwyn Films acquired the film for distribution, with a simultaneous theatrical and VOD release set for August 3, 2018.
- Wortham, Jenna (April 14, 2015). "Instagram's TMZ". The New York Times.
- Titus, Alex (February 3, 2016). "Step Into #TheShadeRoom With Angelica Nwandu". NBC News.
- Inverso, Emily. "Anjelica Nwandu, 25 - In Photos: 2016 30 Under 30: Media". Forbes.
- Wood Rudulph, Heather (June 20, 2016). "How I Started My Own Company Using My Instagram Account". Cosmopolitan.
- Loizos, Connie (December 22, 2015). "18 Female Founders Who Killed It In 2015". TechCrunch.
- Shafrir, Doree (December 21, 2015). "The Shade Room Is Coming For The Gossip Industry's Wig". BuzzFeed.
- D'Amour, Zon (May 5, 2016). "Who Is Angelica Nwandu?". Los Angeles Sentinel.
- Obenson, Tambay A. (December 19, 2013). "Angelica Nwandu's 'Night Comes On' + Ryan Koo's 'Manchild' Are Sundance 2014 Screenwriters Lab Picks". IndieWire.
- Erbland, Kate (2018-06-14). "'Night Comes On' Trailer: Jordana Spiro and Angelica Nwandu's Sundance Winner Announces Arrival of Big New Talents". IndieWire. Retrieved 2018-06-24.
- "The Shade Room Founder Angelica Nwandu Joins Hollywood Ranks With Powerful New Film 'Night Comes On'". Essence.com. Retrieved 2018-06-24.