Angelina Ballerina logo
|Created by||Katharine Holabird & Helen Craig|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||39 (+3 specials)|
|Running time||12 minutes (series)
50 minutes (specials)
3 minutes (Little Stars)
|Production company(s)||PBS Kids|
|Original channel||CITV (UK)
PBS Kids (US)
|Original release||10 September 2001– 5 September 2006|
Angelina Ballerina is a cartoon mouse, created by author Katharine Holabird and illustrator Helen Craig, who is featured in a series of children's books. The series is set in Chipping Cheddar, a place similar to 1920s London. The first book in the series was published in 1983, and since then, there have been over twenty books in the series.
In 2001, a British animated TV series of 40 fifteen-minute episodes based on the books was produced by HIT Entertainment in the United Kingdom. The series featured actress Finty Williams as the voice of Angelina, and her mother Judi Dench as Miss Lilly. The series aired on CITV in the United Kingdom and PBS in the United States, where it was presented by Connecticut Public Television; and can currently be seen on Nick Jr. in the United Kingdom and Sprout in the United States.
A computer-animated revival, Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps, premiered on PBS stations in September 2009. It is directed by Davis Doi and animated at SD Entertainment. WNET, after purchasing CPTV's production unit, is the producer of the program. English National Ballet took a live version of Angelina Ballerina called Angelina's Star Performance on tour in autumn 2007.
- Angelina Jeanette Mouseling (Voiced by Finty Williams) – A feisty white mouseling who loves ballet-dancing and dreams of becoming a famous ballerina. She often wears a pink leotard, tutu, hair ribbon, and ballet slippers.
- Miss Lilly Mouseakova (Voiced by Judi Dench) – Angelina's ballet teacher. She grew up in Dacovia, which is a far away land from Mouseland. She is sometimes mentioned in the TV series Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps, and a picture of her is seen at Angelina's new dancing school.
- Alice Bridgette Nimbletoes (Voiced by Jo Wyatt) – A brown mouseling who is Angelina's best friend, who is very skilled at gymnastics. She often wears a green leotard, tutu, hair ribbon, and ballet slippers. She has a very big appetite. She also appears in the TV series Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps.
- William Longtail (Voiced by Keith Wickham) – A grey mouseling who is one of the two boys in Miss Lilly's ballet class. In one of the episodes, it is shown that he has a crush on Angelina.
- Mr. Longtail – William's father who works as a cab driver and praises his son for any efforts he tries to make, especially if it is his first time.
- Priscilla and Penelope Pinkpaws (Voiced by Jonell Elliott) – Light grey twin sisters who tease and belittle nearly everyone, including each other. They are particularly jealous of Angelina for her dancing talent. Priscilla wears blue leotards, tutus, and pointe shoes and wears a purple hair ribbon, and Penelope wears a purple leotard, tutu, and ballet slippers, but wears a blue hair ribbon. They also have a baby brother in the episodes Angelina's Surprise and The Ballet Tickets.
- Felicity – One of Angelina's dance class mates. Wears a sky blue bow.
- Flora – Another of Angelina's dance class mates. Wears a yellow bow.
- Sammy Watts (Voiced by Jo Wyatt) – One of Angelina's classmates in school, who often causes trouble for William and Angelina particularly, but has a heart of gold.
- Spike – One of Sammy's friends, who is prone to blab events.
- Mr. Maurice Mouseling (Voiced by Keith Wickham) – Angelina's father and the proprietor of the Mouseland Gazette.
- Mrs. Matilda Mouseling (Voiced by Jonell Elliott) – Angelina's mother. Her maiden surname is Fielding. She has a sister Amanda, who has a son.
- Polly Mouseling – The second child and daughter the Mouseling parents and younger sister of Angelina. In the TV series Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps, Polly is a young child with white fur instead of brown.
- Grandma Sophia Mouseling and Grandpa Jeffrey Mouseling (Voiced by Adrienne Posta and Keith Wickham) – Angelina's grandparents and Maurice's parents. They are sometimes mentioned in Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps.
- Uncle Louis Mouseling (Voiced by Rob Rackstraw) – Mr. Mouseling's brother, Angelina's uncle, and Henry's father.
- Aunt Petra Mouseling (Voiced by Jo Wyatt) - Uncle Louis' wife, Angelina's aunt, and Henry's mother.
- Cousin Henry Mouseling (Voiced by Jo Wyatt) – Angelina's cousin.
- Mrs. Harriet Hodgepodge (Voiced by Finty Williams) – Angelina's next door neighbour who doesn't like dancing. She has a flashy blue and red police siren on her head in between her ears, and is always grumpy and is viewed with fear by most of the Chipping Cheddar mouselings, but occasionally helps the mouselings often when they least expect it.
- Doctor Tuttle (Voiced by Keith Wickham) – The doctor in the town of Chipping Cheddar.
- Miss Quaver – Miss Lilly's pianist, who plays the piano during dance classes.
- Mr. Ivor Operatski (Voiced by Derek Jacobi) – An old friend of Miss Lilly's and a stern choreographer. Angelina is convinced (wrongly, as it turns out) that he hates mouselings.
- Queen Seraphina – A childhood friend of Miss Lilly's and the Queen of Mouseland.
- Princess Valentine – Queen Seraphina's middle daughter.
- Anya Mousezauski – A mouseling who comes to Chipping Cheddar as part of a migrant family from Dacovia working through the harvest season. She has ears of unalike color which the Pinkpaws twins make fun of. She befriends Angelia and later joins Miss Lilly's ballet class.
- Mrs. Pinkpaws is the mother of the 2 female twins Priscilla and Penelope and their baby brother. She appears in a couple of episodes, such as The Gift. She has a Southern Aristocracy accent and she wears an awful lot of jewelery.
- Ms. Chalk – A zany, teacher in Angelina's class at school and can be both strict and fair to her students.
- Mrs. Thimble- The store owner.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||26||4 May 2002||27 July 2002|
|2||13||10 May 2003||21 June 2003|
|Specials||3||30 November 2002||5 September 2006|
Each episode typically contains a pair of independent stories followed by a brief live-action "Little Stars" segment featuring real ballet students illustrating a particular aspect of ballet performance.
Season 1 (2002)
|Title||Original air date|
|1||1||"Angelina in the Wings / Arthur the Butterfly"||4 May 2002|
Director of Madame Zizi's Ballet Mr. Popov is seeking a replacement Sunbeam dancer. Madame Zizi chooses Henry over Angelina who becomes an understudy. Angelina gets a place on stage when another replacement is required.Angelina finds and takes care of an injured butterfly, which she calls Arthur. Angelina keeps Arthur the butterfly for too long, then Henry accidentally releases him. Angelina and Henry get trapped down a deep, dark hole, but Arthur summons help for them. Miss Lilly and the others search for Angelina and Henry with torches, and then, Alice and Henry play catch with the red ball while Angelina sunbathes in the garden. In the end, Arthur flies away with some other butterflies.
|2||2||"The Gift / Treasure Tandems"||11 May 2002|
On Christmas Eve, [this date is only on 24th December, please note] Angelina receives a gift from Miss Lilly. Angelina however is unhappy that the gift she made for Miss Lilly is bad, but Miss Lilly is absolutely flattered by Angelina's gift.Angelina and Alice take part in a bicycle race, carefully avoiding the Pinkpaws twins' cheating attempts. As Angelina and Alice rescue the twins, Henry and William win the race.
|3||3||"Angelina at the Fair / The Ballet Tickets"||18 May 2002|
Angelina reluctantly takes Henry to the fair with her friends. Poor Henry is forced to go on rides he does not like. When Angelina leaves him on his own, she loses him, but then finds him and makes up for her selfishness.Alice and Angelina miss their chance to get tickets to the ballet dance and their efforts to find a way all fail. But Angelina's father has a big surprise for the both of them.
|4||4||"Midnight Muddle / Miss Lilly is Leaving"||25 May 2002|
A prank from Sammy gets him in trouble after Angelina accidentally ruins Mrs. Hodgepodge's prize cabbage. Angelina ridden with guilt confesses and both Angelina and Sammy make it up to Mrs. Hodgepodge.Alice and Angelina hear rumors that Miss Lilly is leaving Mouseland to teach at another dance school. The ballet mice try to ensure Miss Lilly stays, bearing gifts and dancing, but Miss Lilly tells them she's leaving only for the weekend.
|5||5||"Miss Lilly Comes to Dinner / Lucky Penny"||1 June 2002|
Miss Lilly is coming to dinner at Angelina's house and Angelina wants everything to be perfect to impress her. The dinner seems to end in a disaster, but Miss Lilly reassures Angelina she did not have to overdo it.Angelina comes across a coin she thinks is a Lucky Penny, helping her regain confidence and neglect her dance practice. Then she loses the coin, but she harnesses enough self-confidence to do the dance perfectly for her audition.
|6||6||"Angelina the Mouse Detective / Angelina and Grandma"||8 June 2002|
Garden gnomes are being stolen in Mouseland. Inspired by Monty the Mouse Detective, Angelina goes detective. At first she finds nothing but discovers that Mrs. Hodgepodge is secretly mending the gnomes.Angelina's parents leaves her in the care of her grandparents. Unfortunately, Angelina tears Miss Lilly's old tutu and her grandma has no time to mend it. Angelina gets in trouble but the whole misunderstanding is cleared up.
|7||7||"Two Mice in a Boat / The Costume Ball"||15 June 2002|
Angelina is taking part in a boat decorating contest, but has Sammy as her partner. Their idea for a Pirate-Princess galleon does not work, but at the parade they win the teamwork prize.Angelina is disappointed she cannot join in the adults' costume ball. Mrs. Hodgepodge is babysitting her and Alice. Alice and Angelina dress up as an adult to attend the costume ball, regretting it later.
|8||8||"The Legend of Big Paw / The Ballerina Rag Doll"||22 June 2002|
On a camping trip, Angelina ventures with Henry into the dense forest, hoping to recover Grandpa's war medal. They become lost and see signs that look like the legendary Big Paw until they are met by Colonel Forthfoot.Angelina gives away her old rag doll Polka, but later she really wants her toy of memories back. While teaching a preschool class how to dance, she realizes that the new owner Mary needs it more.
|9||9||"The Cheese Ball Cup Final / Angelina and Anya"||29 June 2002|
William quits ballet lessons after being teased by Sammy and prepares for the Cheese Ball Cup Final. William is then forced to counter a tough team, but with a little ballet he wins the game and returns to ballet class.A new girl Anya is introduced and quickly befriends Angelina. However, Anya is ostracised by Sammy Watts and the Pinkpaws twins for prejudicial reasons. Angelina clears Anya's name and helps her to fit in with the mouselings.
|10||10||"The Gymnastics Championship / Angelina's Baby Sister"||6 July 2002|
Alice is selected for a Gymnastics Championship. Alice gets vertigo attacks and is up against Phunella, the twins cousin. Motivated by Olga Mousicovich, Alice plucks her courage and wins first prize.Angelina now has a baby sister named Polly. Unfortunately, Angelina's parents are too preoccupied to give Angelina attention and are pretty disorganized. Angelina then becomes frustrated and upset, but the whole family manage to sort out the problem.
|11||11||"Angelina's Surprise / Rose Fairy Princess"||13 July 2002|
Prickled by the attention the Pinkpaws are getting for their newborn brother, Angelina fibs she's going to have one too. She has great difficulty confessing but finally does when she thinks the Pinkpaws' party is all about her new sister.Miss Lilly chooses Angelina to be the Rose Fairy Princess, but Angelina is nervous about the flying stunt. Determined not to let Miss Lilly down, Angelina goes along with the stunt.
|12||12||"Alice's Present / No Match for Angelina"||20 July 2002|
Alice gives Angelina a new gym bag, but when she mislays it, Alice thinks Angelina gave it away and doesn't appreciate her and the two friends fall out, until Henry finds the bag and Angelina and Alice make up.Angelina is a skilled hockey plater, but girls aren't allowed in the team. Angelina joins the team as a boy named Andy. Despite her cover blown, Angelina still makes her winning shot for the team.
|13||13||"Angelina's Valentine / The Royal Banquet"||27 July 2002|
Today is Valentine's Day. William is shy to give Angelina a Valentine, so Sammy tricks William just to get Angelina's yoyo. Angelina finds she's been duped and takes back the yoyo and sends William her own Valentine.Miss Lilly takes Angelina to dance for Queen Seraphina and Princess Valentine. Unfortunately they get stranded, but Doctor Tuttle rescues them in his balloon and they reach the palace ready for the grand banquet.
Season 2 (2003)
|Title||Original air date|
|14||1||"The Proposal / William the Conjuror"||10 May 2003|
Angelina thinks Miss Lilly is going to marry Mr. Operatski. While trying to stop the proposal, she nearly gets him drowned. Miss Lilly reveals that Angelina is the leading bridesmaid for Mr. Operatski's new dance.William is prompted by his father to star as a magician for a charity event. When he practices the disappearing trick on Angelina, he and Henry believe she's disappeared for real. Angelina shows up in time to begin her performance with William.
|15||2||"The Old Oak Tree / Lights, Camera, Action!"||17 May 2003|
A big old oak tree has meant a lot to Angelina and her friends. When Priscilla breaks her arm from falling off the tree, Mrs. Pinkpaws insists the tree be removed. In response Angelina and her friends defend it. Then the tree suddenly collapses by itself.Angelina and her friends start up a movie based Thomasina Tuttle, using Doctor Tuttle's camera. Angelina becomes bossy, then falls down a hole. Her friends rescue her all the while filming, which wins them an award.
|16||3||"Angelina, Ace Reporter / Heads and Tails"||24 May 2003|
With no holiday available, Angelina works with her father at the press. She gets into the reporter business and after some effort picks up a scoop from the opera singer Maria Mozzarella.Preparations for Queen Seraphina's visit are made. Disaster comes when Louis and Maurice break the Queen's statue. Thinking Henry broke it, Alice and Angelina try to fix it. At the unveiling of the statue, Queen Seraphina is flattered.
|17||4||"The Silver Locket / Mouse of the Year"||31 May 2003|
Angelina has to bring Polly to Miss Lilly's dance party. Angelina takes her mother's silver locket without asking. She loses the necklace and fails to find it. She is on the verge of confessing, when she finds Polly had it all along.Angelina wants Miss Lilly to be dedicated as Mouse of the Year. Miss Lilly gets so preoccupied with preparations for the award, that her dance class is in disarray. Miss Lilly turns down the award for her class' sake.
|18||5||"Anya's Visit / Henry's Halloween"||7 June 2003|
Anya comes for a visit, staying in Angelina's house. Angelina becomes jealous of Anya as she is getting better attention. She then snaps at her and Anya splits from her. Eventually they make up and enjoy themselves.Henry spots what he thinks is the Chipping Cheddar Witch. Henry and William follow the witch, then Henry winds with a few mishaps scaring Angelina and Alice and they all realize the witch is Miss Lilly.
|19||6||"Sammy's Club / The Anniversary"||14 June 2003|
William wants to be part of Sammy's Club. He gains acceptance when Sammy is in need of a new trolley from Mr. Longtail. He ends up letting Angelina and Miss Lilly down, but he and Sammy's lot make up for it.Tomorrow is Angelina's grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. Grandma is unhappy her husband is going to forget this event. Angelina tries to sort it out, neglecting her dance practice. However Grandpa has a nice surprise for his wife.
|20||7||"Show and Tell"||21 June 2003|
|Angelina brings Polly to school for her Show and Tell with Ms. Chalk. On her way into class, Angelina loses Polly and she begins to worry. Sammy manages to find Polly and Angelina invites for her Show and Tell.|
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|S1||"The Show Must Go On / Christmas In Mouseland"||30 November 2002|
The Cindermouse Ballet is going to show, directed by Ivor Operatski, a very strict director. Priscilla gets the main part but not Angelina because she cannot sing brilliantly. Distraught that her rival is Cindemouse while she is the Wicked Stepmouse, Angelina tries to prove to Mr. Operatski she can do it, but without success, so Angelina quits the show. Meanwhile Henry is unable withstand Mr. Operatski's angry demands.A sledging accident results in Miss Lilly's ankle broken. Ashamed of her selfishness, Angelina helps get the show back on track, with Mr. Operatski having a change of heart. Angelina gives her best shot as the Wicked Stepmouse resulting in a spectacular performance.
|S2||"Angelina's Princess Dance / Angelina And The Sleeping Beauties"||6 September 2005|
Miss Lilly has an exciting opportunity to take Angelina and her class to the Queen Seraphina's Castle for a grand performance, with Angelina as the director and Sammy invited to the special effects. Queen Seraphina also wants Angelina to let her daughters Valentine and Sophie participate in the dance.Unfortunately, Valentine and Sophie are not talented dancers and quite demanding. Things go from bad to total worse when it becomes frustrating to keep up with the princesses' and Angelina's demands. However the sisters make it up to Angelina and all the dance class and the show commences wonderfully with a surprise appearance of Princess Phoebe.
|S3||"Angelina Sets Sail / All Dancers on Deck"||5 September 2006|
Miss Lilly has a wonderful surprise to take Angelina and her class to Dacovia for Mr. Operatski's performance. On the five-day journey by the Royal Stilton cruise liner, Angelina sympathises for Miss Lilly's nephew Yuri being pushed around by the captain and in is love with the captain's daughter. Angelina carries out a plan to resolve this, but only gets Yuri into trouble.When a storm comes, the captain gets the ship caught between icebergs. To make matters worse, the Pinkpaws have broken the radio. The dance performance takes place on the ship instead, but Angelina gets an idea that enables the ship to get back on course and gets Yuri a well-deserved appreciation from the captain. They arrive in time for Mr. Operatski's performance.
- Meet Angelina Ballerina (2002) (The Ballet Tickets, Two Mice in a Boat)
- Angelina Ballerina: Friends Forever (2002) (Ballerina Rag Doll, Angelina's Surprise, Arthur the Butterfly, Alice's Present)
- Angelina Ballerina: The Magic of Dance (William the Conjurer, Angelina and Grandma, Miss Lilly Comes to Dinner)
- Angelina Ballerina: The Dance of Friendship (2004) (Angelina and Anya, Alice's Present)
- Angelina Ballerina: All Dancers on Deck / Angelina Ballerina: Angelina Sets Sail (2005)
- Angelina Ballerina: Angelina And The Sleeping Beauties / Angelina Ballerina: Princess Dance (2005)
- Angelina Ballerina: The Big Performance (2005) (The Royal Banquet, Angelina the Mouse Detective, Angelina's Baby Sister, The Costume Ball)
- Angelina Ballerina: Angelina Follows Her Dreams (2007)
In August 2009, WNET announced that they were working on a new CGI series called Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps. The series is about Angelina going to a performing arts school. The series debuted on 5 September 2009.
|Book title||Year written|
|Angelina and the Princess||1984|
|Angelina at the Fair||1985|
|Angelina on Stage||1986|
|Angelina and Alice||1987|
|Angelina's Baby Sister||1991|
|Angelina's Ice Skates||1993|
|Angelina and the Butterfly||2001|
|Angelina's Ballet Class||2001|
|Angelina and Henry||2002|
|Angelina and the Rag Doll||2002|
|Angelina Ballerina's Invitation to the Ballet||2003|
|Angelina, Star of the Show||2004|
|Angelina's Silver Locket||2004|
|Angelina at the Palace||2005|
|Angelina at the Royal Wedding||2010|
- Official Katharine Holabird website
- Official Angelina Ballerina website
- Official Angelina Ballerina, The Musical website
- English National Ballet performs Angelina's Star Performance
- Angelina Ballerina, The Musical presented by Vital Theatre Company
- Angelina Ballerina at the Internet Movie Database
- Angelina Ballerina at the Big Cartoon Database
- Interview with Katharine Holabird