This article has an unclear citation style.January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
Angelo Dalli in 2018
|Born||14 April 1978|
|Thesis||Timeline and Named Entity Extraction for Hyperlinked Corpora (2010)|
|Doctoral advisor||Yorick Wilks|
Early life and education
Dalli was born in Malta and grew up in the town of Birżebbuġa. Dalli was educated at the Archbishop's Seminary, Malta and represented Malta in the Young European Environmental Research contest held in Cologne in 1994. Dalli represented Malta in the International Olympiad in Informatics held in Eindhoven in 1995, where he won a bronze medal. Dalli started selling computer software as a teenager, and worked for the International Data Group as a freelance contributor for PC World.
After graduating from the University of Malta, Dalli spent time lecturing on artificial intelligence and natural language processing before reading for his PhD at the University of Sheffield under the supervision of Yorick Wilks. Dalli has published over 20 peer reviewed papers in the artificial intelligence and natural language processing fields, including one of the earliest methods on timestamp extraction from documents that is now commonly used in most email applications. Angelo has also contributed to the encoding of European languages in Unicode, in particular for the Common Locale Data Repository.
In the field of Bioinformatics Dalli has found a particularly useful integer sequence (A062208) which efficiently computes all alignments of strings of length 3 together with other generalisations (A062204, A062205) for applications in natural language and sequence alignment.
Angelo has been a vocal proponent of ethical AI that impacts society positively and believes that AI should be properly regulated. Angelo has been appointed by the Government of Malta on the taskforce that will produce Malta's new AI regulation and national AI strategy, and is an active member of the AAAI, ACM and the ACL.
AI in transport
Angelo had led the introduction of different machine learning techniques in intelligent transport systems (ITS), including parking, controlled vehicle access zones and dynamic traffic interchange control. His transport solutions company, Traffiko, created ITS solutions in Europe, Australia and the Middle East, and was eventually sold to Q-Free in Norway in 2015.
AI in gaming
Angelo setup on of the first companies that applied artificial intelligence in the online gambling industry, called Bit8 (now part of Intralot), with the most notable work being on algorithms that estimate and maximise player lifetime value and personalised bonusing systems. These techniques have since been widely adopted by the online gambling industry Intralot subsequently bought Bit8 in 2017.
AI in art
Angelo has been collaborating with the Maltese artist Mark Mallia via his AI company Umnai to teach AI about creativity. The results of this collobaration is the Uma AI entity, short for Universal Machine Artist. Uma has been taught how to paint by Mark Mallia, and is creating original artwork using a modified Generative adversarial network that has a third component, the human artist, to produce different learning results than a standard GAN. The underlying discriminator in Uma started from an anti-fraud detection system. The first two artworks generated by Uma were auctioned in October and November 2018 respectively, with all proceeds donated to charity and good causes.
Angelo is an angel investor active in the high-tech startup scene and a member of EBAN. Angelo has been encouraging Maltese startups via various public events including the Zest and Budding Rockstars conferences. Angelo has had a number of successful exits in transport and gaming.
Awards and honours
Entrepreneurial and scientific
- Bronze Medal, International Olympiad in Informatics (1995)
- Malta Top Entrepreneur Award (2014)
- Intralot Bit8 EGR Rising Star Award (2014)
- Intralot Bit8 Malta Communication Authority eBusiness Award for the Best B2B application (2015)
- Intralot Bit8 Malta iGaming Award for Excellence (2017)
- "MSV Life Top Entrepreneur of the Year Awards 2014". The Malta Independent. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "Angelo Dalli". International Olympiad in Informatics. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- Angelo Dalli publications indexed by Google Scholar
- "From Maths Olympiad To Global Artificial Intelligence Player: The Rise And Rise Of Malta's Little-Known Tech Wizard". Lovin Malta. 2018-05-24.
- "Angelo Dalli Bio". 111 Holdings. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Angelo Dalli". Crunchbase. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Industry Ambassador Angelo Dalli". eSkills Malta Foundation. 2017-02-22.
- "When science and technology meet". Times of Malta. 2014-04-22.
- "Angelo Dalli". University of Malta. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Angelo Dalli UoM Homepage". University of Malta. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Angelo Dalli Publications". DBLP. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Angelo Dalli Google Scholar". Google. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Angelo Dalli ACL Anthology". Association for Computational Linguistics. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Unicode CLDR Acknowledgements". Unicode Consortium. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Angelo Dalli Integer Sequences". On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Integer Sequence A062208". On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Informatics students at S. Korean olympiad". Times of Malta. 2002-08-20.
- "Malta wins bronze in informatics Olympiad". Times of Malta. 2004-09-20.
- "The use of AI in our daily life, exclusive interview with Angelo Dalli". Picante Media. 2018-08-21.
- "Brave, new (and slightly scary) world". Malta Today. 2018-11-11.
- "Malta.ai Taskforce Members". Government of Malta. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Launch of Malta.ai – Malta Government's vision on Artificial Intelligence". Malta Blockchain Summit. 2018-11-01.
- "After Becoming The Blockchain Island, Malta Announces It's Formulating National AI Strategy". Forbes. 2018-11-01.
- "Ethical AI Principles". Medium.com. 2018-11-25.
- "Angelo Dalli - ACM Author Page". Association for Computing Machinery. Retrieved 2018-12-03.
- "Driving change: a leader in smart road technologies". Malta Profile. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "The implementation of road user charging and the lessons learnt: the case of Valletta, Malta". Journal of Transport Geography. 2010.
- "Ambitious growth drive by transport IT systems firm". Times of Malta. 2012-05-20.
- "Q-Free closes the transaction with Traffiko". Q-Free. 2015-06-03.
- "Q-Free acquires parking management solutions company". ITS International. 2015-05-15.
- "Angelo Dalli articles". Calvin Ayre. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Angelo Dalli interview". EEGReport Magazine. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Innovation in iGaming Profiles: Bit8". Calvin Ayre. 2014-08-29.
- "Cover Story: Angelo Dalli" (PDF). SIGMA. 2016-04-01.
- "MCA Feature on Bit8 Platform". Malta Communications Authority. 2016-03-21.
- "Working Smarter". Times of Malta. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "Intralot acquires minority stake in Bit8". EGR. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Intralot buys 35 pct stake in Bit8". Reuters. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Intralot & Bit8 in strategic alliance". Intralot. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
- "Art vs. Artificial – a world-first auction of a human-AI art part". Malta Blockchain Summit. 2018-10-24.
- "But is it art? Maltese artist Mark Mallia teaches AI system rudiments of painting". Malta Today. 2018-10-28.
- "Art vs. Artificial". Medium.com. 2018-10-26.
- "Maltese Artist Auctions Off One Of The World's First Robot Paintings For A Huge Sum Of Money". Lovin Malta. 2018-10-31.
- "Maltese Artist Auctions Off 'Evolved' Robot Painting For €18,000: 'It's Like She's In My Soul'". Lovin Malta. 2018-11-29.
- "AngelList – Malta Investors". AngelList. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "EBAN Startup Expert Jury". EBAN. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Launch of Digital Malta Governing Body". MITA. 2014-10-27.
- "Zest: The Art of the Exit – Angelo Dalli". Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Malta's brightest youths turn tech entrepreneurs for a day". Times of Malta. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "My Success Entrepreneur Profile: Angelo Dalli". ICE Malta. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Delta Summit Speaker Profile: Angelo Dalli". ICE Malta. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Angelo Dalli Cover Story: For the love of Mathematics". SiGMA. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Gaming Software's Rising Star". Malta Today. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Two Maltese firms achieve global recognition for remote gaming technology and expertise". The Malta Independent. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "eBusiness Awards 2015 Winners". Malta Communications Authority. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "Gaming Malta 2017 Edition" (PDF). Country Profiler. Retrieved 1 February 2017.