Angelo Muscat in The Prisoner
September 24, 1930
|Died||October 10, 1977
Muscat was born in Malta to a policeman father. He was distinctly diminutive at only 4 ft 3 in (1.3 m), although both his parents and his three brothers were over 6 ft in height. Muscat initially found work as a kitchen porter and then as a stoker at an RAF base in Malta. After the death of his parents and finding himself largely alone, he moved to England where he worked in a zip-fastener factory. In 1961 Muscat joined a production of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs that was to tour the United Kingdom. Moving into television, he played a Chumbley in the Doctor Who serial Galaxy 4 (1965), played the part of a clown in the ITV series Emergency – Ward 10 and appeared as the Queen's Servant in the BBC television adaptation of Alice in Wonderland (1966).
He was in the television series The Prisoner (1967-1968) with Patrick McGoohan, appearing in 14 of the 17 episodes as the mute butler. He played an Oompa-Loompa in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (uncredited, 1971). He also appeared in the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour (1967).
During his later years he lived alone and virtually penniless in a basement flat in North London. He found it difficult to find acting work and to supplement his income, Muscat made ornate birdcages by hand.
Muscat died at age 47 in St Bartholomew's Hospital in London.
Each year, on October 10, a small group of enthusiasts dubbed the "Friends of Angelo Muscat" (FOAM) celebrate his life.
TV and filmography
- Doctor Who (Galaxy 4, 1965) - Chumbley Operator / Chumblie
- Alice in Wonderland (1966) - Queen's Servant (uncredited)
- The Prisoner (1967) - The Butler
- The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour (1967) - The Butler
- Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) - Oompa Loompa (uncredited) (final film role)
- "Angelo Muscat". Doctor Who News.
- The Unmutual Website - Village People: Cast & Crew Profiles
- Angelo Muscat at the Internet Movie Database
- Angelo Muscat on the 'Who's Who of Short People' website
- Angelo Muscat at Find a Grave
|This Maltese biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|