Market Place & Townhall
|• Mayor||Wolfgang Krakow (SPD)|
|• Total||326.44 km2 (126.04 sq mi)|
|Elevation||50 m (160 ft)|
|• Density||42/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Angermünde (German pronunciation: [aŋɐˈmʏndə] ( listen)) is a town in the district of Uckermark in the state of Brandenburg, Germany. It is about 43 miles (69 km) northeast of Berlin, the capital of Germany.
The population is about 10,000, but the population has been rapidly falling as its traditional industrial base (enamel-working) has declined. An administrative sub-centre of its district, it has several Protestant churches, a former Franciscan church, a number of schools of higher learning and a recently refurbished historic marketplace with an old town hall. Located in the game-filled forests of the Uckermark, with its many lakes, it now relies heavily on tourism and the sources of revenue linked to it.
The town is named for its position on the Mündesee.
In the 19th century, the town was the seat of a Prussian circle in the province of Brandenburg and linked to Berlin by the Berlin–Stettin (now Szczecin, Poland) railway. Angermünde station then served as the junction for sidelines servicing Prenzlau, Bad Freienwalde, and Schwedt.
In the 20th century, it formed part of East Germany.
- 1989–1998: Wolf-Hugo Just
- 1998–2016: Wolfgang Krakow (SPD)
- since 2016: Frederik Bewer (independent)
Frederik Bewer was elected in May 2016 with 95,3 % of the votes for a term of eight years.
The lake Mündesee in Angermünde.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Friedrich Heinrich von der Hagen (1780–1856), German scholar
- Albert Manthe (1847–1928), sculptor
- Hermann Dietrich (1856–1930), born in Schmargendorf, politician (DNVP), member of Reichstag
- Ehm Welk (1884–1966), writer
- Hans-Erich Voss (1897–1969), Vice Admiral in World War II
- Günter Reimann (1904–2005), economist and journalist
- Heinrich Borgmann (1912–1945), adjutant of Adolf Hitler
- Hartmut Losch (1943–1997), athlete, European champion in discus throw
- Maik Heydeck (born 1965), boxer
- Julia Jäger (born 1970), actress
- "Bevölkerung im Land Brandenburg nach amtsfreien Gemeinden, Ämtern und Gemeinden 31. Dezember 2015 (Fortgeschriebene amtliche Einwohnerzahlen auf Grundlage des Zensus 2011)". Amt für Statistik Berlin-Brandenburg (in German). 2016.
- EB (1911).
- EB (1878).
- Detailed data sources are to be found in the Wikimedia Commons.Population Projection Brandenburg at Wikimedia Commons
- Ergebnis der Bürgermeisterstichwahl am 8. Mai 2016
- Baynes, T.S., ed. (1878), "Angermünde", Encyclopædia Britannica, 2 (9th ed.), New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, p. 29
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911), "Angermünde", Encyclopædia Britannica, 2 (11th ed.), Cambridge University Press, p. 8
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Angermünde.|
- Official Website (in German)