Angie Drobnic Holan
Angie Drobnic Holan
|Alma mater||University of Texas at Austin, Columbia University, University of South Florida|
|Known for||Editor of PolitiFact|
Angie Drobnic Holan is the editor for PolitiFact and was part of the Pulitzer Prize winning team of journalists noted for their fact-checking of the 2008 presidential elections in the United States.
Angie Drobnic began her career in journalism at Albuquerque’s NuCity (now Alibi) in 1994, and left in 1998 to pursue her degree in journalism from Columbia University. She also earned a master’s degree in library science from the University of South Florida. More recently she has worked as a business reporter for the Mobile Press-Register, a news reporter for the Tampa Tribune, and a news researcher for the Tampa Bay Times, where she became an expert on the Affordable Care Act. She has also taught undergraduate courses in reporting and writing at the University of Tampa and the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
She has been a part of PolitiFact since its launch in 2007, when Tampa Bay Times’ Washington bureau chief Bill Adair sought to create a unique way for covering the 2008 election. She began with the organization as a reporter, then as its deputy editor and editor of PolitiFact Florida. She was named editor in 2013.
Lectures and awards
She has lectured on fact-checking methods for the 2014 Global Fact-Checking Summit, held in London; at the Poynter Institute, a journalism school in St. Petersburg, Florida; and at the Alice G. Smith Lecture at her alma mater, the University of South Florida. In addition to winning a Pulitzer Prize the USF School of Information presented her with the Jean Key Gates Distinguished Alumni Award.
- Holan, A. (2014, September 14). About me [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.angieholan.com/about-angie-drobnic-holan/
- Domrzalski, D. (2009, May 6). Former Alibi staffer wins a Pulitzer. Alibi. Retrieved from http://alibi.com/news/27644/Former-Alibi-Staffer-Wins-a-Pulitzer.html
- "The Truth-O-Meter: Fact Checking the Pundits". American Libraries. 46 (5): 64. May 2015. ISSN 0002-9769.
- Pittner, N. (2014, February 27). Why fact-checking is the root of journalism: 8 good questions with PolitiFact’s Angie Drobnic Holan. American Press Institute. Retrieved from http://www.americanpressinstitute.org/publications/good-questions/why-fact-checking-the-roots-of-journalism-8-good-questions-with-politifacts-angie-drobnic-holan/
- New editors named for PolitiFact and PunditFact. (2013, October 10). Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved from http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/national/new-editors-named-for-politifact-and-punditfact/2146531