Angkatan Belia Islam Malaysia
|Motto||Menegakkan Kebenaran & Keadilan|
|Formation||6 August 1971|
|Founder||Ustaz Abdul Wahab Zakaria|
|Mohamad Raimi Ab Rahim (President)|
Angkatan Belia Islam Malaysia (ABIM) or the Muslim Youth Movement of Malaysia is an Islamic organisation founded on 6 August 1971 by Ustaz Abdul Wahab Zakaria. It was established in Malaysia during an international trend of Islamic revivalism. Founded by Muslim students, PKPIM (National Union of Malaysian Muslim Students) in particular, the organisation promoted Islam through its charity work and education programs aimed at the poor. Yayasan Anda, a private school known as the "Institute," served as a center for its promotion of Islamic education. The popularity of the organisation was aided by widespread skepticism among the youth towards secularisation and Westernisation. ABIM supported and assisted Islamic students practicing Dawah, the preaching of Islam, and was a crucial organisation in the early stages of the Malaysian dawah movement.
The group reached its height during the late 1970s with a call to return to the basics and the true teachings of Islam through advocacy channel. In the 1980s decade, ABIM renewed its approach through the concept of "partnership in nation building" with the government. The idea that also was known as "the reform from within" had undergone the highly successful period particularly when the idea of establishing Islamic University and Islamic Banking that derived originally form ABIM's Annual General Assembly had been realized through the establishment of International Islamic University of Malaysia-IIUM (1982) and Bank Islam Malaysia Berhad (1983). For an organisation that was nominally not political, ABIM consistently criticized the government particularly in the scope of good governance which is non-compliance with Islamic principle. By 1986, the group had 40,000 members and now reaching 60,000 members and ABIM's mission continuously received encouraging support from Muslims in Malaysia.
ABIM now remain as strong youth based and non-partisan movement led by ninth President Mohamad Raimi Ab Rahim. ABIM managed to enhance its religious legitimacy and gain international recognition by maintaining excellent relations with International NGOs from various Islamic countries. Domestically, they became one of the most significant religious pressure groups, promoting the idea of moderation and progressive thinking.
List of presidents of ABIM
- Prof Dr Razali Nawawi 1971-1974
- Dato' Seri Anwar Ibrahim 1974-1982
- Dato' Dr Siddiq Fadzil 1983-1991
- Prof Dr Muhammad Nur Manuity 1991-1997
- Ahmad Azam Abdul Rahman 1992-2005
- Dr Yusri Mohamad 2005-2009
- Dr Muhamad Razak Idris 2009-2011
- Amidi Dato' Abdul Manan 2011-2015
- Mohamad Raimi Ab Rahim 2015–present
- Pendekar Berkuda. Sejarah Penubuhan Angkatan Belia Islam Malaysia.
- Robert W. Hefner; Patricia Horvatich (1997). Islam in an Era of Nation-States: Politics and Religious Renewal in Muslim Southeast Asia. University of Hawaii Press. pp. 32–33. ISBN 978-0-8248-1957-6. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Douglas S. Farrer (4 August 2009). Shadows of the Prophet: Martial Arts and Sufi Mysticism. Springer. p. 8. ISBN 978-1-4020-9355-5. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- Keat Gin Ooi (2009). Historical Dictionary of Malaysia. Scarecrow Press. p. 20. ISBN 978-0-8108-5955-5. Retrieved 25 October 2012.