Anglican Diocese of Adelaide
The Anglican Diocese of Adelaide is based in Adelaide, South Australia. The diocese is a part of the Province of South Australia of the Anglican Church of Australia and a part of the Anglican Communion. The diocesan cathedral is St Peter's Cathedral, Adelaide.
The diocese was founded by letters patent of 25 June 1847 and now forms part of the Province of South Australia, together with the Diocese of Willochra (1915) and the Diocese of The Murray (1969). Since 1970, the Bishop of Adelaide, as the senior bishop of the province (known as the metropolitan), has borne the title of Archbishop.
The Most Reverend Jeffrey Driver retired as Archbishop of Adelaide in 2016,. Following a process of nomination, an Election Synod held in December 2016 resolved to invite Geoffrey Smith (bishop), Assistant Bishop of the Diocese of Brisbane, to be the 10th Archbishop of Adelaide. The Most Reverend Geoff Smith was installed on 28 April 2017.
List of Bishops and Archbishops of Adelaide
|Bishops of Adelaide|
|1882||1894||George Kennion||Translated to Bath and Wells.|
|1895||1905||John Harmer||Translated to Rochester.|
|1941||1956||Bryan Robin||Formerly Archdeacon of Hampstead.|
|1957||1970||Tom Reed||Became Archbishop of Adelaide in 1970.|
|Archbishops of Adelaide|
|1970||1975||Tom Reed||Bishop of Adelaide until 1970.|
|1976||1989||Keith Rayner||Translated from Wangaratta; translated to Melbourne.|
|1991||2004||Ian George||Previously assistant bishop in Canberra and Goulburn.|
|2005||2016||Jeffrey Driver||Translated from Gippsland|
|2017||present||Geoffrey Smith||Previously assistant bishop, General Manager, and Registrar of the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane, Queensland|
Lionel Renfrey was an assistant bishop of the diocese in 1988. Tim Harris was ordained (consecrated) an assistant bishop and Bishop for Mission and Evangelism in 2011 and became Bishop Administrator during the 2016–2017 vacancy in the diocesan see. On 11 April 2015, Chris McLeod was ordained (consecrated) Assistant Bishop with special responsibility for ministry alongside Aboriginal people in South Australia and National Aboriginal Bishop.
List of archdeacons
- >"Diocese of Sydney". New South Wales Government Gazette. New South Wales, Australia. 1 January 1848. p. 2 – via National Library of Australia.
- "History". Anglican Diocese of Adelaide. Archived from the original on 22 October 2015. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- "Archbishop of Adelaide announces intention to retire". Anglican Church League, Sydney, Australia. 10 April 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- "Adelaide elects new Archbishop". Philip Freier. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- "Bishop Geoff Smith installed as Archbishop of Adelaide". Adelaide Anglicans. Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "Declaration of Unity, Witness and Mission". Church Times (#AAMBIT 3). 1 July 1988. p. 1. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 22 July 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- Adelaide Anglicans — Bishop Tim (Accessed 2 March 2017)
- Adelaide Anglicans — Leadership (Accessed 2 March 2017)
- Adelaide Anglicans — Bishop Chris (Accessed 2 March 2017)
- The Clergy List for 1866 (London: George Cox, 1866) p. 465
- Diocese of Adelaide official website
- Anglican Church of Australia official website
- Information on the Anglican Communion official website