Anglican Diocese of Adelaide
||This article is incomplete. (September 2008)|
The Anglican Diocese of Adelaide is based in Adelaide, South Australia. The diocese is a part of the Province of South Australia of the Anglican Church of Australia and a part of the Anglican Communion. The diocesan cathedral is St Peter's Cathedral, Adelaide.
The diocese was founded by letters patent of 25 June 1847 and now forms part of the Province of South Australia, together with the Diocese of Willochra (1915) and the Diocese of The Murray (1969). Since 1970, the Bishop of Adelaide, as the senior bishop of the province (known as the metropolitan), has borne the title of Archbishop.
The retirement of the Most Reverend Jeffrey Driver as Archbishop of Adelaide was announced in 2016, with Archbishop designate, Geoffrey Smith, Assistant Bishop of the Diocese of Brisbane, being elected in December 2016.
List of Bishops and Archbishops of Adelaide
|Bishops of Adelaide|
|1882||1894||George Kennion||Translated to Bath and Wells.|
|1895||1905||John Harmer||Translated to Rochester.|
|1941||1956||Bryan Robin||Formerly Archdeacon of Hampstead.|
|1957||1970||Tom Reed||Became Archbishop of Adelaide in 1970.|
|Archbishops of Adelaide|
|1970||1975||Tom Reed||Bishop of Adelaide until 1970.|
|1975||1990||Keith Rayner||Translated from Wangaratta; translated to Melbourne.|
|1991||2004||Ian George||Previously assistant bishop in Canberra and Goulburn.|
|2005||2016||Jeffrey Driver||Translated from Gippsland|
Tim Harris was ordained (consecrated) an assistant bishop and Bishop for Mission and Evangelism in 2011 and became Bishop Administrator during the 2016–2017 vacancy in the diocesan see. On 11 April 2015, Chris McLeod was ordained (consecrated) Assistant Bishop with special responsibility for ministry alongside Aboriginal people in South Australia and National Aboriginal Bishop.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2015)|
The diocese was formed in 1847.
- Supplement to the New South Wales government gazette, 31 December 1847 (Accessed 21 December 2015)
- "Archbishop of Adelaide announces intention to retire". Anglican Church League, Sydney, Australia. 2016-04-10. Retrieved 2017-02-21.
- "Adelaide elects new Archbishop". Philip Freier. Retrieved 2017-02-21.
- Adelaide Anglicans — Bishop Tim (Accessed 2 March 2017)
- Adelaide Anglicans — Leadership (Accessed 2 March 2017)
- Adelaide Anglicans — Bishop Chris (Accessed 2 March 2017)
- "History". Anglican Diocese of Adelaide. Retrieved 2015-10-11.