Anglican Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn
The Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn is one of the 23 dioceses of the Anglican Church of Australia. The diocese has 60 parishes covering most of south-east New South Wales, the eastern Riverina and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). It stretches from Marulan in the north, from Batemans Bay to Eden on the south coast across to Holbrook in the south-west, north to Wagga Wagga, Temora, Young and Goulburn.
The Diocese of Goulburn was established in 1863. At that time it extended to the south and west of Goulburn to the south-western corner of New South Wales (south of the 34th degree of latitude). In 1883 the diocese was divided, with the western portion designated as the major part of the newly created Diocese of Riverina. In 1950 the name was changed to the Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn. St Saviour's Cathedral, the mother church of the diocese, is located in Goulburn, New South Wales. Both the diocesan bishop and the diocesan office are located in Canberra, Australia's national capital, which is 87 kilometres to the south of Goulburn.
Bishop Stuart Robinson
Stuart Robinson was elected 10th bishop of the diocese on 2 November 2008 and laid up his staff on March 31 2018. He was consecrated and enthroned at St Saviour's Cathedral, Goulburn on 31 January 2009. Trevor Edwards (bishop) was consecrated assistant bishop on 12 June 2004.
The consecration of Genieve Blackwell, formerly the Archdeacon for Goulburn and Rural Ministry, as part-time assistant bishop for the region of Wagga Wagga, the North-West and South-West (also becoming the Archdeacon of Wagga Wagga) and Ian Lambert, formerly the Archdeacon for the South Coast and Monaro, as part-time assistant bishop for the region of the Coast, Southern Monaro and the Snowy (also remaining as archdeacon) took place at St Saviour’s Cathedral, Goulburn on 31 March 2012. The then Archbishop of Sydney, Peter Jensen, who would normally be expected to consecrate the new bishops, asked the Bishop of Newcastle, Brian Farran, to take his place because Jensen opposes the ordination of women. Blackwell was the third woman to become an Anglican bishop in Australia and the 31st in the world.
Bishop Genieve Blackwell had served as Bishop of the Marmingatha Episcopate in the Diocese of Melbourne since her appointment in 2015.
Bishop Ian Lambert has served as Assistant Bishop to the Australian Defence Force since his appointment in 2013.
Archdeacon Matt Brain was consecrated bishop by Bishop Stuart Robinson on June 18, 2015 and served as Assistant Bishop in the diocese of Canberra and Goulburn until his appointment as Bishop of Bendigo in 2018.
Bishop Trevor Edwards is serving the Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn as Episcopal Administrator until the Consecration of the Reverend Mark Short ad Diocesan Bishop in St Saviour's Cathedral Goulburn on April 6 2019.
List of diocesan bishops
|Bishops of Goulburn|
|1863||1892||Mesac Thomas||Died in office.|
|1892||1901||William Chalmers||Died in office.|
|1902||1915||Christopher Barlow||Translated from North Queensland; retired.|
|1934||1950||Ernest Burgmann||Became Bishop of Canberra and Goulburn.|
|Bishops of Canberra and Goulburn|
|1950||1960||Ernest Burgmann||Previously Bishop of Goulburn; retired.|
|1961||1971||Kenneth Clements||Translated from Grafton; retired.|
|1972||1983||Cecil Warren||Previously assistant bishop in the diocese; retired.|
|1983||1993||Owen Dowling||Previously assistant bishop in the diocese; retired.|
|1993||2008||George Browning||Previously assistant bishop for coastal Brisbane; retired.|
|2009||2018||Stuart Robinson||Elected 1 November 2008; consecrated and enthroned 31 January 2009. Resigned 31 March 2018.|
|2019||Mark Short||Bishop-elect since November 2018|
- "Bishop Stuart Robinson". Archived from the original on 10 December 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Bishop Trevor Edwards". Diocese of Canberra & Goulburn. Archived from the original on 30 March 2012.
- Anglican Diocese of Canberra & Goulburn – Assistant Bishops Archived January 14, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Byrne, Elizabeth (31 March 2012). "Bishops Genieve Blackwell has become NSW's first female Anglican bishop". ABC News. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- Byrne, Elizabeth (1 April 2012). "NSW's first female Anglican bishop appointed". ABC News. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- Brown, Malcolm. "Jensen begs off as deputy consecrates woman bishop". THe Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- "Canberra-Goulburn Elects a New Bishop". Anglican Diocese of Canberra & Goulburn. 10 November 2018. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anglican Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn.|
- Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn website
- A church for a nation: a history of the Anglican Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn, by Tom Frame. Alexandria: Hale and Iremonger, 2000 ISBN 0-86806-695-8