Anglican Diocese of Johannesburg
Diocese of Johannesburg
|Ecclesiastical province||Southern Africa|
|Cathedral||St Mary's Cathedral, Johannesburg|
The Anglican Diocese of Johannesburg is part of the Anglican Church of Southern Africa. It was formed in 1922 from the southern part of the Diocese of Pretoria, and at that time included the whole of the southern Transvaal. Today it is much smaller, and comprises the central part of Gauteng province. The Cathedral of the Diocese of Johannesburg, is Cathedral Church of Saint Mary the Virgin. The headquarters of the Diocese and the Bishops office are Situated at St.Joseph's Diocesan Centre in Sophiatown, Johannesburg. The following are diocesan schools St. John's College, Johannesburg, St Mary's School, Waverley, Bishop Bavin School, St Peter's College, Johannesburg and Vuleka School. The diocese has a total of 75 Parishes
List of the Bishops of Johannesburg
- Arthur Karney 1922-1933
- Geoffrey Clayton 1934-1949
- Ambrose Reeves 1949-1961
- Leslie Stradling 1961-1974
- Timothy Bavin 1974-1985
- Desmond Tutu 1985-1986
- George Buchanan 1986-2000
- Brian Germond 2000-2013
- Stephen Moreo elected on 4 Sept 2012, consecrated 16 March 2013
Coat of arms
The diocese assumed a coat of arms in 1922. The arms were formally granted by the College of Arms in 1949, and registered at the Bureau of Heraldry in 1964 : Gules, in front of two wings conjoined in lure Or, a heart Gules transfixed by a sword, point downwards proper, pommel and hilt Or, a chief barry wavy of six Azure and Argent, the shield ensigned with an episcopal mitre.
- "The Revd Stephen Moreo elected as bishop of the Diocese of Johannesburg". Anglican Church of South Africa. Archived from the original on 10 June 2015. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "Moreo becomes Anglican Bishop of Johannesburg". SABC. 16 March 2013. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Brownell, F. G. (2002). Heraldry in the Church of the Province of Southern Africa, 1847-2000: Coats of Arms of the Dioceses, Collegiate and Parish Churches, and the Order of Ethiopia. Heraldsholme CC. pp. 43–46. ISBN 978-0-620-28606-0.
- Lee, Peter (2005). Compromise and courage: Anglicans in Johannesburg 1864-1999. Pietermaritzburg: Cluster. ISBN 1-875053-50-6.
|This article about an Anglican diocese is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|