Anglican Diocese of Liverpool
Diocese of Liverpool
|Archdeaconries||Liverpool, Knowsley and Sefton, St Helens and Warrington, Wigan and West Lancashire|
|Bishop||Paul Bayes, Bishop of Liverpool|
|Suffragan||Beverley Mason, Bishop of Warrington|
The Diocese of Liverpool is a Church of England diocese based in Liverpool, covering Merseyside north of the River Mersey, part of West Lancashire, part of Wigan in Greater Manchester, Widnes and part of Warrington and in Cheshire (it was originally formed from the then West Derby hundred of the historic county of Lancashire). The cathedral is Liverpool Cathedral and the bishop is the Bishop of Liverpool. The diocese was formed on 9 April 1880 from part of the Diocese of Chester. The current bishop is Paul Bayes, since the confirmation of his election on 23 July 2014.
The diocese's House of Bishops comprises the diocesan Bishop of Liverpool (Paul Bayes), the suffragan Bishop of Warrington (Beverley Mason), and the honorary assistant bishop (since 1999) and pro-vice chancellor emeritus at Liverpool Hope University, Ian Stuart (a former Assistant Bishop of North Queensland.) Alternative episcopal oversight (for parishes in the diocese who reject the ministry of priests who are women) is provided by the provincial episcopal visitor (PEV) the Bishop suffragan of Beverley, Glyn Webster. He is licensed as an honorary assistant bishop of the diocese in order to facilitate his work there.
There are two retired bishops living in the diocese:
- Cyril Ashton, a retired former Bishop suffragan of Doncaster, has been a licensed as an honorary assistant bishop since his 2011 retirement to Lancaster, Lancashire (in Blackburn diocese, where he is also licensed.)
- Frank Sargeant, former Bishop at Lambeth lives in Salford, Greater Manchester (and is also licensed in that diocese.)
In May 2016, it was announced that Susan Goff, Suffragan Bishop of Virginia, had been licensed as an honorary assistant bishop (called "Assisting Bishop of Liverpool") in the diocese, as part of the companion link with the American Episcopalian Diocese of Virginia. In response, the Diocese of Akure, Nigeria, has indicated that they wish to end their part of the companion link.
Archdeaconries and deaneries
|Diocese of Liverpool||Archdeaconry of Liverpool||Deanery of Liverpool North|
|Deanery of Liverpool South|
|Deanery of Toxteth and Wavertree|
|Deanery of Walton|
|Deanery of West Derby|
|Archdeaconry of St Helens & Warrington||Deanery of St Helens|
|Deanery of Warrington|
|Deanery of Widnes|
|Deanery of Winwick|
|Archdeaconry of Knowsley & Sefton||Deanery of Huyton|
|Deanery of North Meols|
|Deanery of Sefton North1|
|Deanery of Sefton South2|
|Archdeaconry of Wigan & West Lancashire||Deanery of Ormskirk|
|Deanery of Wigan|
1named Sefton until 2012
2named Bootle until 2017
- "No. 24832". The London Gazette. 9 April 1880. p. 2435.
- Diocese of Liverpool – The next Bishop of Liverpool is to be the Right Revd Paul Bayes (Accessed 7 May 2014)
- "The Diocese of Liverpool – Bishops". Archived from the original on 28 September 2011. Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- The Diocese of Liverpool – Diocesan Synod
- Diocesan Synod Membership – March 2013 (Accessed 24 April 2014)
- Diocese of Liverpool — Historic Appointment of Bishop Susan Goff as Assisting Bishop of Liverpool (Accessed 5 June 2015)
- Diocese of Liverpool — The Diocese of Liverpool and the Anglican Communion (Accessed 5 June 2015)
- Diocese of Liverpool official website