Anglican Diocese of Newcastle (Australia)
Diocese of Newcastle
|Ecclesiastical province||New South Wales|
|Metropolitan||Archbishop of Sydney|
|Established||25 June 1847|
|Cathedral||Christ Church Cathedral, Newcastle|
|Parent church||Anglican Church of Australia|
|Bishop of Newcastle|
|Assistant bishops||Sonia Roulston (Inland Episcopate, since 2018)|
Charlie Murry (Coastal Episcopate, since 2018)
|Archdeacons||Arthur Copeman (Archdeacon of Newcastle)|
Rod Bower (Archdeacon for Justice Ministries and Chaplaincy)
|Diocese of Newcastle|
The Anglican Diocese of Newcastle in Australia is a diocese of the Anglican Church of Australia. The diocese is located in the state of New South Wales. It is centred in the city of Newcastle and extends along the state's coast from Woy Woy to Laurieton and inland to Merriwa and Murrurundi.
The diocesan bishop is the Bishop of Newcastle. On 25 November 2017, Peter Stuart, the assistant bishop at the time, was elected as the diocesan bishop. He was installed at Christ Church Cathedral on 2 February 2018.
|Bishops of Newcastle|
|1||1847||1879||William Tyrrell||Installed 26 January 1848; died in office.|
|3||1890||1905||George Stanton||Translated from North Queensland; died in office.|
|4||1906||1919||Jack Stretch||Previously Dean of Ballarat, coadjutor bishop of Brisbane and Dean of Newcastle; died in office.|
|5||1919||1928||Reginald Stephen||Translated from Tasmania.|
|6||1928||1930||George Long||Translated from Bathurst; died in office.|
|7||1931||1958||De Witt Batty||Previously Dean of Brisbane and coadjutor bishop of Brisbane.|
|8||1958||1972||James Housden||Translated from Rockhampton.|
|9||1973||1977||Ian Shevill||Translated from North Queensland.|
|10||1978||1992||Alfred Holland||Previously Assistant Bishop of Perth.|
|11||1993||2005||Roger Herft||Translated from Waikato and Taranaki; translated to Perth.|
|12||2005||2012||Brian Farran||Previously Dean of Rockhampton and an assistant bishop in the Diocese of Perth.|
|13||2013||2017||Greg Thompson||Translated from the Northern Territory.|
|14||2018||present||Peter Stuart||Previously Assistant Bishop of Newcastle.|
Robert Davies was assistant bishop in 1963 and became Bishop of Tasmania. Leslie Stibbard was appointed an assistant bishop in 1964, serving for ten years. Geoffrey Parker served 1974–1982 and died on 28 February 1997. Richard Appleby served 1983–1992 and became diocesan Bishop of the Northern Territory.
- "Diocese of Sydney". New South Wales Government Gazette. New South Wales, Australia. 1 January 1848. p. 2 – via National Library of Australia.
- Anglican Communion website
- McCarthy, Joanne (28 November 2017). "Newly-elected Newcastle Anglican Bishop Peter Stuart a 'passionate supporter' of women in ministry". The Newcastle Herald.
- "Diocese of Newcastle". New South Wales Government Gazette. 26 January 1848. p. 120 – via National Library of Australia.
- "History of the Diocese". Anglican Diocese of Newcastle (Australia). Retrieved 12 April 2021.
- "Episcopal appointments". Church Times (#5316). 1 January 1965. p. 15. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 4 September 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- Diocese of Newcastle website
- Churches of the Diocese of Newcastle
- Anglican Diocese of Newcastle history