Anglican Diocese of Newcastle (Australia)
The Anglican Diocese of Newcastle in Australia is a diocese of the Anglican Church of Australia. The diocese is located in the state of New South Wales. It is centred in the city of Newcastle and extends along the state's coast from Woy Woy to Laurieton and inland to Merriwa and Murrurundi.
The diocesan bishop is the Bishop of Newcastle. On 25 November 2017, Peter Stuart, the assistant bishop at the time, was elected as the diocesan bishop. He was installed at Christ Church Cathedral on 2 February 2018.
|Bishops of Newcastle (Australia)|
|1880||1889||Josiah Brown Pearson|
|1890||1905||George Henry Stanton||Translated from North Queensland|
|1906||1919||John Francis Stretch||Previously Dean of Ballarat and Dean of Newcastle|
|1919||1928||Reginald Stephen||Translated from Tasmania|
|1928||1930||George Merrick Long||Translated from Bathurst|
|1931||1958||Francis de Witt Batty||Previously Dean of Brisbane|
|1958||1972||James Alan George Housden||Translated from Rockhampton|
|1973||1977||Ian Wotton Allnutt Shevill||Translated from North Queensland|
|1978||1992||Alfred Charles Holland|
|1993||2005||Roger Herft||Translated from Waikato and Taranaki. Became Archbishop of Perth in 2005.|
|2005||2012||Brian Farran||Previously an assistant bishop in the Diocese of Perth|
|2013||2017||Greg Thompson||Translated from Diocese of the Northern Territory|
|2018||current||Peter Stuart||previously Assistant Bishop of Newcastle|
- "Diocese of Sydney". New South Wales Government Gazette. New South Wales, Australia. 1 January 1848. p. 2 – via National Library of Australia.
- Anglican Communion website
- McCarthy, Joanne (28 November 2017). "Newly-elected Newcastle Anglican Bishop Peter Stuart a 'passionate supporter' of women in ministry". The Newcastle Herald.
- "Diocese of Newcastle". New South Wales Government Gazette. 26 January 1848. p. 120 – via National Library of Australia.
- Diocese of Newcastle website
- Churches of the Diocese of Newcastle
- Anglican Diocese of Newcastle history
|This article about an Anglican diocese is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|