Anglican Diocese of North West Australia
Diocese of North West Australia
|Ecclesiastical province||Western Australia|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Holy Cross, Geraldton|
The Anglican Diocese of North West Australia is a diocese of the Anglican Church of Australia. The diocese covering 2 million km² of Western Australia, north of Perth, is geographically the largest Anglican diocese in Australia and the largest land-based diocese in the world. The population of the area of about 150,000 people.
The cathedral building was built in 1964 to a design by architects McDonald and Whitaker. The brick modernist style building has a star shaped footprint and is said to resemble Coventry Cathedral in England. Internally the cathedral has extensive stained glass and an organ built by Allen Organ Company.
The Diocese of North West Australia was the second in the Anglican Church of Australia, after the Anglican Diocese of Sydney, to recognize the Anglican Church in North America as a "member church of the Anglican Communion, in full communion with Diocese of North West Australia", according to a motion passed in October 2014.
- Anglican Diocese of Sydney
- Anglican Diocese of Tasmania
- Anglican Diocese of Armidale
- Anglican Pacifist Fellowship
- Church Missionary Society
- Evangelical Anglicanism
- Low church
- Fellowship of Confessing Anglicans
- Diocese of Northwest Australia
- Diocese of North West Australia Act 1961
- Bruce Kaye, A Church without Walls: being Anglican in Australia (Melbourne: Harper Collins, 1995): 43.
- Downes, Joan, ‘‘The Cathedral Church of the Holy Cross, Geraldton, Western Australia.’’
- Tourism Western Australia, Cathedral of The Holy Cross Archived 3 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- Australian Anglican Historical Images Archived 28 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- Allen’s Organs In WA
- Angela Grutzner, The Australian Anglican Directory (Melbourne: Publishing Solutions, 2009): 13.
- Diocese of NW Australia recognizes ACNA as "a member church of the Anglican Communion", Anglican Church League Website, 5 October 2014
Media related to Anglican Diocese of North West Australia at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about an Anglican diocese is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|