Anglican Diocese of Perth
The Anglican Diocese of Perth is one of the 23 dioceses of the Anglican Church of Australia. The constitution of the Diocese of Perth was passed and adopted in 1872 at the first synod held in Western Australia. In 1914, the Province of Western Australia was created and the diocesan bishop of Perth became ex officio metropolitan bishop of the new province and therefore also an archbishop. The diocese incorporates the southern part of the state of Western Australia and includes the Christmas and Cocos Islands. The other dioceses in the Anglican Province of Western Australia are the Diocese of Bunbury and the Diocese of North West Australia.
The diocese has traditionally had a variety of churchmanship and in recent years has largely moved toward a more liberal and moderate Catholic style. There are, however, parishes and clergy representative of all the main Anglican traditions. On 10 February 2018, Kay Goldsworthy became the first female archbishop in the Anglican Communion on her installation to the archdiocese.
The Perth diocese, like all Australian dioceses, has had administrative procedures dealt with by the diocesan trustees. A range of other sub-committees of the diocese handle broader issues. The trustees were known in earlier times as the Trustees of Church Property.
The relationship of the church and government is not just from the proximity of the cathedral to government house. The land ownership and provision of favourable conditions for the diocese has occurred since establishment of the colony. The Diocesan Trustees and Diocesan Council are regularly observed to deal with significant land and building projects in the history of Perth.
As a more liberal diocese, the region voted to recognise same-gender relationships in 2013. While Archbishop Roger Herft vetoed the motion, he did say that "what we have in the Diocese of course is a number of people in same-sex relationships amongst the clergy and amongst the laity and we have always said that people of all forms of sexuality and orientation are welcome" In a statement on human sexuality, Archbishop Herft confirmed that "there are gay and lesbian clergy serving in the priesthood. They are licensed by me and are honoured and respected as priests" In April 2016, St Andrew's Church within the diocese blessed a same-sex couple's relationship.
The cathedral church of the diocese is St George's Cathedral, Perth.
Bishops and Archbishops of Perth
|Bishops of Perth|
|1857||1875||Mathew Hale||Transferred to Brisbane.|
|1876||1893||Henry Parry||Died in office.|
|1894||1914||Charles Riley||Became Archbishop of Perth.|
|Archbishops of Perth|
|1914||1929||Charles Riley||Previously Bishop of Perth; died in office.|
|1929||1946||Henry Le Fanu||Previously coadjutor bishop in Brisbane; elected Primate of Australia in 1935; died in office.|
|1963||1969||George Appleton||Transferred to Jerusalem.|
|1969||1980||Geoffrey Sambell||Previously coadjutor bishop in Melbourne; died in office.|
|1981||2004||Peter Carnley||Elected Primate of Australia in 1999.|
|2005||2017||Roger Herft||Previously Bishop of Waikato and then of Newcastle.|
|2017||present||Kay Goldsworthy||Previously Assistant Bishop of Perth and then Bishop of Gippsland|
|Assistant bishops of Perth|
|1957||1963||Robert Freeth, Assistant Bishop of Perth|||
|1964||aft. 1977||Brian Macdonald, bishop coadjutor|| Thomas Brian Macdonald; previously Dean of Perth (1959–1961) and Archdeacon of Perth, 1961 to 1967|
|1978||1999||Michael Challen, Assistant Bishop of Perth|| Previously archdeacon.|
|1982||1993||Brian Kyme, Assistant Bishop of Perth|||
|1988||1992||Ben Wright, Assistant Bishop of Perth, Goldfields Country Region|| Subsequently, Bishop of Bendigo 1992-1993|
|1998||2005||Brian Farran, Assistant Bishop of Perth, Goldfields Country Region||Became Bishop of the Northern Region; translated to Newcastle.|
|1991||2006||David Murray, Bishop of the Southern Region|
|1998||2003||Gerald Beaumont, Assistant Bishop of Perth, Goldfields Country Region||Subsequently, Vicar of St John's, Camberwell, VIC|
|2004||2006||Tom Wilmot, Assistant Bishop of Perth, Goldfields Country Region||Translated between regions.|
|2007||present||Tom Wilmot, Assistant Bishop of Perth, Eastern and Rural Region|
|2006||2008||Mark Burton, Bishop of the Northern Region|| Became Dean of St Paul's Cathedral, Melbourne|
|2008||2015||Kay Goldsworthy, Assistant Bishop of Perth||Became Bishop of Gippsland 2015. Elected Archbishop of Perth August 2017.|
|2014||current||Jeremy James, Assistant Bishop of Perth|
|2015||current||Kate Wilmot, Assistant Bishop of Perth|
- St George's Cathedral, Perth
- St Bartholomew's Church
- Coogee Hotel, Western Australia, used as an orphanage by the Anglican Diocese of Perth
- "Perth Diocesan Synod". The Daily News. III (287). Perth, Western Australia. 18 September 1884. p. 3. Retrieved 18 March 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Diocesan Trustees Land Bill". Western Argus. 23, (5066). Western Australia. 10 December 1918. p. 13. Retrieved 18 March 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- Melville, William Ian; University of Western Australia. Graduate School of Education (2006), An historical analysis of the structures established for the provision of Anglican schools in the diocese of Perth, Western Australia between 1917 and 1992, retrieved 18 March 2017
- "Perth Anglicans vote to recognise same-sex relationships". ABC News. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "Archbishop rejects formal recognition of same-sex relationships". ABC News. 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- Herft, Roger (October 8, 2010). "Synod Motion - Human Sexuality" (PDF). perth.anglican.org. Anglican Diocese of Perth. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- "Anglican priest running LGBTI parish service in Perth". ABC News. 2016-10-08. Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- Freeth Family – Robert Evelyn Freeth
- Presidential Address to the Second General Synod, 1966 Archived September 27, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Library of West Australian History – Perth Cathedral
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 1980-82 p 636 London: Oxford University Press, 1983 ISBN 0-19-200010-1
- Michael Challen biography
- Anglican Diocese of Bunbury – John Ramsdon Archived August 21, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. (contemporary of ++Peter Perth, +Michael Challen and +Gerald NW Australia)
- Bidding farewell to Bishop Ben Archived March 23, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Northern Region – Bishop Archived March 30, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Newcastle Anglican – Bishop Brian Archived October 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Letter from Australia – Yesterday's Men
- Anglican Religious Communities – Organisations
- The Australian Anglican Directory
- Bishop to lead Melbourne Cathedral
- Diocese of Perth website
- "Anglican Diocese of Perth Yearbook 2002". Anglican Diocese of Perth. 2003. Archived from the original on 2006-02-05. Retrieved 2006-03-12.