Anglican Diocese of Portsmouth
|Diocese of Portsmouth
Dioecesis Portus Magni
|Archdeaconries||Portsdown, The Meon, Isle of Wight|
|Cathedral||Cathedral Church of St Thomas of Canterbury|
|Bishop||Christopher Foster, Bishop of Portsmouth|
|Archdeacons||Gavin Collins, Archdeacon of The Meon
Peter Sutton, Archdeacon of the Isle of Wight
Joanne Grenfell, Archdeacon of Portsdown
The Diocese of Portsmouth is an administrative division of the Church of England Province of Canterbury in England. The diocese covers south-east Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. The see is based in the City of Portsmouth in Hampshire, where the seat is located at the Cathedral Church of St Thomas of Canterbury.
- Portsdown (comprising the deaneries of Portsmouth and Havant);
- The Meon (comprising the deaneries of Fareham, Gosport, Petersfield and Bishop's Waltham);
- The Isle of Wight (comprising the deaneries of East Wight and West Wight).
The Bishop of Portsmouth leads the diocese (he is the only diocesan bishop in the Church of England not assisted by either a suffragan or stipendiary assistant bishop; the lapsed suffragan see of the Isle of Wight – created by the Suffragan Bishops Act 1534 – is, however, within the diocese).
Alternative episcopal oversight (for parishes in the diocese which do not the ordination of women as priests) is provided by the provincial episcopal visitor, Norman Banks, Bishop suffragan of Richborough, who is licensed as an honorary assistant bishop of the diocese in order to facilitate his ministry. There are also four former bishops living in the diocese who are licensed as honorary assistant bishops:
- 1995–present: Retired Bishop of Guildford Michael Adie lives in Froxfield, Hampshire and is also licensed in the Diocese of Chichester.
- 2008–present: Godfrey Ashby was a diocesan bishop then a theology professor (and assistant bishop) in South Africa before returning to Britain as the full-time Assistant Bishop of Leicester. He retired back to South Africa, where he was an assistant bishop, then returned to live in Broadclyst, Devon (where he is also licensed in the Diocese of Exeter.)
- 2012–present: Timothy Bavin, Oblate Master at Alton Abbey, is a retired Bishop of Portsmouth who is licensed as an honorary assistant bishop in both Winchester (in which diocese the abbey lies) and Portsmouth dioceses.
- The London Gazette: . 26 April 1927. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "Michael Edgar Adie". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 18 June 2016. (subscription required)
- Ashby, Godfrey William Ernest Candler. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Godfrey William Ernest Candler Ashby". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 18 June 2016. (subscription required)
- Bavin, Timothy John. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- Hind, John William. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 18 August 2014.