Anglican Diocese of Southwark
|Diocese of Southwark|
|Archdeaconries||Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham & Greenwich, Reigate, Southwark, Wandsworth|
|Bishop||Christopher Chessun, Bishop of Southwark|
|Suffragans||Richard Cheetham, area Bishop of Kingston
Jonathan Clark, area Bishop of Croydon
area Bishop of Woolwich (vacant)
|Archdeacons||Jonathan Clark, Bishop of Croydon, acting Archdeacon of Reigate
Chris Skilton, Archdeacon of Croydon
Alastair Cutting, Archdeacon of Lewisham & Greenwich
Jane Steen, Archdeacon of Southwark
Simon Gates, Archdeacon of Lambeth
John Kiddle, Archdeacon of Wandsworth
Moira Astin, Archdeacon-designate of Reigate
The Diocese of Southwark // is one of the 42 dioceses of the Church of England, part of the worldwide Anglican Communion. The diocese forms part of the Province of Canterbury in England. It was created on 1 May 1905 from part of the ancient Diocese of Rochester that was served by a Suffragan Bishop of Southwark (1891–1905). Before 1877 the area was part of the Diocese of Winchester.
The diocese covers Greater London south of the River Thames (except for the London Borough of Bexley and London Borough of Bromley) and east Surrey. Since the creation of the episcopal area scheme in 1991, the diocese is divided into three episcopal areas each of which contains two archdeaconries:
- Croydon Episcopal Area (overseen by the area Bishop of Croydon)
- Kingston Episcopal Area (overseen by the area Bishop of Kingston)
- Woolwich Episcopal Area (overseen by the area Bishop of Woolwich)
In other ecclesiastical use, although having lost religious orders in the English Reformation, the diocese has the London home of the Archbishop of Canterbury and records centre of the Church of England in the diocese, Lambeth Palace.
Alongside the diocesan Bishop of Southwark (Christopher Chessun), the Diocese has three area (suffragan) bishops: Richard Cheetham, area Bishop of Kingston; Jonathan Clark, area Bishop of Croydon; and an area Bishop of Woolwich (vacant). Since 1994 the Bishop of Fulham (currently Jonathan Baker, since 2013) has provided 'alternative episcopal oversight' in the diocese (along with those of London and Rochester) to those parishes which reject the ministry of priests who are women. Baker is licensed as an honorary assistant bishop in Southwark diocese in order to facilitate his work there.
Several other men are licensed as honorary assistant bishops licensed in the diocese:
- 2004–present: Michael Doe, Preacher to Gray's Inn, former General Secretary of USPG and former Bishop suffragan of Swindon, lives in Woolwich.
- 2006–present: The Lord Harries of Pentregarth is an honorary professor of Theology at King's College London, former Gresham Professor of Divinity and former Bishop of Oxford who is licensed as an honorary assistant bishop in the diocese.
- 2009–present: David Atkinson, former Bishop suffragan of Thetford, lives in South Croydon.
- 2011–present: Alan Chesters, retired diocesan Bishop of Blackburn, lives in Lingfield, Surrey (he is also licensed in Sussex and in Europe.)
- 2011–present: Peter Selby, a visiting professor at King's College London and retired Bishop of Worcester, Bishop to Prisons and suffragan (later area) Bishop of Kingston, lives in Sydenham.
- 2013–present: The Archbishop of Canterbury's chief of staff, Nigel Stock, Bishop at Lambeth, Bishop to the Forces and Bishop for the Falkland Islands, lives in Lambeth.
- 2014–present: Stephen Platten, Rector of St Michael Cornhill (Diocese of London) and retired Bishop of Wakefield (also in London and Newcastle dioceses.)
- Retired Bishop suffragan of Stafford John Waller also lives in the diocese.
- "Archdeacon of Croydon announced". 31 October 2012. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "New Archdeacons for Southwark Diocese". 16 December 2013. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Diocese of Southwark – New Archdeacon of Lambeth
- "Southwark", in The Columbia Lippincott Gazetteer of the World (1952), New York: Columbia University Press.
- The London Gazette: . 21 March 1905. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 21 March 1905. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- "4: The Dioceses Commission, 1978–2002" (PDF). Church of England. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Diocese of Southwark: Bishops and Officers. Retrieved on 29 June 2012.
- Doe, Michael David. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- Harries, Richard Douglas. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- Atksinson, David John. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- "Alan David Chesters". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 18 June 2016. (subscription required)
- Selby, Peter Stephen Maurice. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- Stock, (William) Nigel. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- "Appointments". Church Times (#7920). 2 January 2014. p. 31. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 2 January 2015. (subscription required (. ))
- Waller, John Stevens. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 21 August 2014.