Opening logo, from Carry on Cleo (1964)
|Fate||Absorbed into EMI Films|
|Divisions||Anglo Amalgamated Film Distributors|
Anglo-Amalgamated Productions was a British film production company, run by Nat Cohen and Stuart Levy, which operated from 1945 until roughly 1971 (after which it was absorbed into EMI Films). Low-budget and second features, often produced at Merton Park Studios, formed much of its output. It was the UK distributor of many films produced by American International Pictures (AIP), who distributed AA's films in the United States.
It is remembered for producing the first 12 Carry On films (all of which were produced at Pinewood Studios) and B-movie series such as The Scales of Justice, Scotland Yard and the Edgar Wallace Mysteries. It did, however, produce the Michael Powell film Peeping Tom (1960) and such films as John Schlesinger's A Kind of Loving (1962) and Billy Liar (1963). The company's distribution arrangement with American International Pictures led to the last two films in Roger Corman's series of films based on the works of Edgar Allan Poe, The Masque of the Red Death and The Tomb of Ligeia (both 1964), being joint productions made in the UK. AA's film distribution subsidiary was Anglo Amalgamated Film Distributors Ltd. Anglo had a film production arm called Insignia Films.
At its peak Anglo Amalgamated made a return of £3 million a year.
- Wide Boy (1952)
- The Drayton Case (1953)
- The Sleeping Tiger (1954)
- The Tommy Steele Story (1957)
- The Duke Wore Jeans (1958)
- Carry On Sergeant (1958)
- Carry On Nurse (1959)
- Horrors of the Black Museum (1959)
- Carry On Teacher (1959)
- Peeping Tom (1960)
- Carry On Constable (1960)
- Circus of Horrors (1960)
- The Criminal (1960)
- Carry On Regardless (1961)
- A Kind of Loving (1962)
- Carry On Cruising (1962)
- Carry On Cabby (1963)
- Carry On Jack (1963)
- Billy Liar (1963)
- Carry On Spying (1964)
- The Masque of the Red Death (co-produced with AIP, 1964)
- The Tomb of Ligeia (co-produced with AIP, 1964)
- Nothing But the Best (1964)
- Catch Us If You Can (1964)
- Darling (1965)
- Carry On Cowboy (1965)
- Carry On Cleo (1965)
- Carry On Screaming (1966)
- Five Golden Dragons (1967)
- The Million Eyes of Sumuru (1967)
- Poor Cow (1967)
- "Company Meeting: Associated British Picture Corporation". The Spectator. 16 August 1962. p. 25. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "A.B. Pictures Acquire 50% Of Anglo Amalgamated." Times [London, England] 5 Apr. 1962: 21. The Times Digital Archive. Web. 6 April 2014
- "Associated British Picture Corporation." Sunday Times [London, England] 3 September 1967: 44. The Sunday Times Digital Archive. Web. 29 March 2014.
- "BUSINESS diary." Times [London, England] 28 Mar. 1969: 31. The Times Digital Archive. Web. 6 Apr. 2014.
- Mitchell, Wendy (17 December 2012). "Network Distributing acquires rights to 450 films from StudioCanal library". Screen Daily. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Anglo-Amalgamated at BFI Screenonline
- Anglo-Amalgamated Productions on IMDbPro (subscription required)
- Anglo-Amalgamated Distributors on IMDbPro (subscription required)
- Insignia Films at BFI
- Insignia Films on IMDbPro (subscription required)
|This article about a British film distributor or production company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|