Angry Birds Stella
|Angry Birds Stella|
|Release date(s)||September 4, 2014|
Angry Birds Stella, also known as Angry Birds Slingshot Stella, is a puzzle video game and the second spin-off from the Angry Birds series, developed by Rovio Entertainment. The game is marketed to females by using characteres that have a spirit of female heroism and friendship, but is intended to appeal to all sexes. Announced on February 13, 2014, Rovio stated that the game would be accompanied by a toy-line with Telepods, and a television series. The game was released on September 4, 2014.
The game features Stella taking a vacation from the rest of the Angry Birds flock, traveling to Golden Island and visiting four friends. One day, Gale and the evil pigs steal Stella's photo album so Stella and her friends venture out to get it back.
Just as the original game of the series, players use a slingshot to shoot an assortment of birds to nearby structures, with an intent to pop all the green pigs that can be either near, in, or on the structures.
The December 2014 update, New Pigs on the Block added the storyline that features Stella and her friends in their treehouse looking for their house's missing items that were stolen by the pigs and they must complete random levels to retrieve the items.
The game is the third game of the franchise to be compatible with Hasbro's Telepods, a toy line also used in other Angry Birds games, such as Angry Birds Star Wars II. The toys are able to summon characters into the game that correspond to the scanned figure. Other than this use, the Telepods pack may come with other toy pieces and accessories for normal playing.
|#||Level pack||Levels||Release date|
|1||Branch Out||66||September 4, 2014|
|2||Beach Day||65||September 4, 2014|
|N/A||New Pigs on the Block||Various*||December 16, 2014|
- Each random level refreshes over time or by paying coins. The total number of available levels increase as more are completed.
Stella in other media
Rovio announced an animated series based on the game, with the first episode released on November 1, 2014 on ToonsTV, named "Angry Birds Stella". The first episode was "A Fork in the Friendship", that shows how Gale, Stella's ex-friend and queen of the pigs on Golden Island, separated from Stella and her other friends.
The game has received generally mixed reviews with a Metacritic score of 67/100 based on 8 reviews. Pocket Gamer UK said, "It's Angry Birds. If you care about that any more then you'll probably find something to enjoy. Just watch out for the timers." Some reviewers have praised the game for its introduction of new characters and return to the original style of gameplay.
Another game in the Stella series is called Angry Birds Stella POP!, which is a tile matching game, was soft launched for iOS in Canada on December 22, 2014 and released worldwide for iOS and Android on March 12, 2015.
The game features a slingshot that the player uses to fling bubbles to pop the bubbles at the top of the screen, as long as three or more bubbles with the same color are matched. Each level has a limited number of bubbles and/or a time limit.
- Rossi, Juhana (2014-05-06). "Boss Talk: Angry Birds Maker Rovio Aims for the Next Level - WSJ.com". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- Rovio Announces ‘Angry Birds Transformers’. "Rovio Announces ‘Angry Birds Transformers’". Morning News USA. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- Andrei Dumitrescu (2014-02-13). "Angry Birds Stella Launches in the Fall, Introduces Five New Bird Types". Softpedia. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- "Angry Birds Stella Releases on September 4; Gets 2 New Trailer Videos". Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- Angry Birds Stella. Initial cutscene
- "Hasbro Announces New ANGRY BIRDS™ STELLA TELEPODS™ Line Based on the New Brand from Rovio Entertainment". Business Wire. 2014-02-13. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- "Angry Birds Stella Animated Series!". Angry Birds. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- "Angry Birds Stella Animated Series Exclusive Premiere!". Angry Birds. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- "Rovio Teams with Literacy Charities".
- "Angry Birds Stella". Metacritic. Retrieved 2014-09-15.
- "Angry Birds Stella review". Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- What happened to Stella's bubbles? Angry Birds Stella POP! soft launched in Canada. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- Stella bursts bubbles with global launch of Angry Birds Stella POP!. Retrieved March 18, 2015.