Angry Birds Toons
|Angry Birds Toons|
|Created by||Mikael Hed
|Based on||Angry Birds
by Rovio Entertainment
|Opening theme||"Angry Birds Toons"|
|Country of origin||Finland|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||104 (list of episodes)|
|Producer(s)||Søren Fleng (season 1)
Pablo Jordi (seasons 2, 3)
|Production company(s)||Atomic Cartoons (episodes 45–46)|
Cake Entertainment (since 2015)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (home media)
|Original release||March 16, 2013 – present|
|Related shows||Angry Birds Stella, Piggy Tales|
Angry Birds Toons is a Finnish CGI animated TV series based on Rovio's video game franchise of the same name. This animated series follows the adventures of the birds as they guard their eggs against the piggies who want to steal them for their king to eat, as well as adventures from within each group. Episodes have been released weekly.
There was an introductory episode called "Meet the Flock" in March 2013, which presented the names of the birds. The green pigs are identified by their role such as Corporal Pig, King Pig, or Chef Pig, with Minion Pig allocated to unnamed pigs. Dialogue is generally limited to vocalizations and sound effects similar to the game.
As of September 2013, Angry Birds Toons episodes have been viewed more than one billion times. By July 2014, Angry Birds Toons episodes had been viewed over three billion times and by December 2014, episodes had been viewed four billion times.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||52||16 March 2013||8 March 2014|
|2||26||19 October 2014||12 April 2015|
|3||26||1 October 2015||13 May 2016|
- Red is the leader of the flock. He is usually very bossy and is perhaps the most dedicated on protecting the Eggs from being captured by the Pigs.
- Chuck is a yellow triangular-shaped bird who can move incredibly fast, to the point of even slowing down time. He is incredibly arrogant and narcissistic, and often implied to be dumb, though he does have the flock's best interest at heart. He enjoys practicing martial arts.
- Bomb is a black bird with a "fuse" on top of his head who has the ability to explode, albeit without actually disappearing, at will. Bomb is usually laid back yet still having the will to defend the Eggs. He is somewhat of a glutton, as he has a much greater appetite than the other birds.
- The Blues are a trio of blue birds who are mischievous and fun-loving, pulling pranks on both the Pigs and the Birds. Their names are Jim, Jake, and Jay.
- Matilda is a white female bird with rosy cheeks that serves as the Mother Hen of the group. She loves nature and always seeks peaceful solutions to problems, but frequently loses her temper when things don't go as planned. She enjoys cooking and gardening, and frequently depicted as a stereotypical hippie.
- Terence is a large red bird with a permanent grumpy appearance. He prefers to be silent, only growling to communicate, and rarely making eye contact (also doesn't blink). He normally moves around Weeping Angel style, as he disappears and reappears elsewhere only when other characters aren't looking at him.
- Bubbles is an orange bird that only makes appearance in the series' Halloween-themed episodes. Like The Blues, he is mischievous and fun-loving. He especially loves candy.
- Corporal Pig is a militaristic pig who wears a helmet with an ace of spades playing card. He reveres King Pig and likes to bully others and order the minion pigs around. According to his Angry Birds profile, he had accidentally glued his tin helmet to his scalp.
- King Pig is a large pig with a crown on his head. He is gluttonous, lazy, and selfish. His ego is also very fragile, often behaving like a spoiled child when things don't go his way.
- Foreman Pig is a pig with a bright orange mustache who is in charge of the construction projects.
- Chef Pig is a pig with a chef hat and French moustache who cooks for the King and frequently helps with egg stealing. He is actually incredibly devious, and will act against even the other pigs, including the king, if it suits him.
- Minion Pigs are the pigs who dutifully serve the King, although they would prefer to just roll around in the mud.
Rovio announced a TV series based on the Angry Birds video game series of 52 short episodes. The series was produced by Finnish animation studio Kombo, which Rovio bought in June 2011. "I am happy to say we are going to roll out a weekly animation series this year of short format content," said Nick Dorra, head of animation at Rovio. The series was made available worldwide on Angry Birds apps, selected video-on-demand services, and selected smart TVs.
- Angry Birds Toons: Season 1, Volume 1 (3 December 2013)
- Angry Birds Toons: Season 1, Volume 2 (15 April 2014)
- Angry Birds Toons: Season 2, Volume 1 (1 December 2015)
- Angry Birds Toons: Season 2, Volume 2 (1 March 2016)
- Angry Birds Toons: Season 3, Volume 1 (16 August 2016)
- Angry Birds Toons: Season 3, Volume 2 (6 December 2016)
In 2011, Nickelodeon showed Angry Birds: Wreck the Halls, a Christmas special aired on 17 December 2011; and Angry Birds Space, an animated prequel to the video game of the same name in March 2012.
On 11 April 2014, Rovio released a series titled Piggy Tales on their multi-platform broadcasting channel, ToonsTV, with the first episode called "Trampoline". The series show the minion pigs' life, with other exclusive characters to appear in various episodes, but no other pigs or birds were featured.
Angry Birds Stella
Based on the puzzle video game spin-off of the same name, the series is based around Stella, the pink bird, along with her friends Luca, Willow, Poppy and Dahlia, as they work their way against Gale, the former friend of Stella, that currently is the queen of the pigs in Golden Island.
Angry Birds Blues
- Milligan, Mercedes (24 June 2015). "Cake Inks ‘Angry Birds’ Deal with Rovio". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 22 May 2017.
- Meet the flock / Rovio (HD). 16 July 2013. Retrieved 26 February 2016 – via YouTube.
- "Rovio Announces Second Season of 'Angry Birds Toons' Series". The Hollywood Reporter. 17 September 2013. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- Angry Birds on G+. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "Angry Birds - Characters - Red". Angry Birds. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Angry Birds - Characters - Chuck". Angry Birds. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- Angry Birds Toons: "Chuck Time". 25 June 2013. Retrieved 18 February 2016 – via YouTube.
- "Angry Birds - Characters - Bomb". Angry Birds. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- Bomb Bird stars in Angry Birds update - Short Fuse. 26 November 2013. Retrieved 18 February 2016 – via YouTube.
- "Angry Birds - Characters - The Blues". Angry Birds. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Angry Birds - Characters - Matilda". Angry Birds. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- Angry Birds 2 – Meet Matilda: Explosive Spirit!. 31 July 2015. Retrieved 18 February 2016 – via YouTube.
- "Angry Birds - Characters - Terence". Angry Birds. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Angry Birds - Watch - Gardening With Terence". Angry Birds. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Angry Birds - Characters - Bubbles". Angry Birds. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Angry Birds - Characters - Corporal Pig". Angry Birds. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Angry Birds - Characters - King Pig". Angry Birds. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Angry Birds - Characters - Foreman Pig". Angry Birds. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Angry Birds - Characters - Minion Pig". Angry Birds. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Rovio confirms Angry Birds mobile animation series". Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- Sluss, Justin (9 October 2013). "Rovio's "Angry Birds Toons Season One Volume One" on Blu-ray December". High Def Disc News. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- Wolfe, Jennifer (19 February 2014). "‘Angry Birds Toons: Season One – Volume Two’ Soars to Disc April 15". Animation World Network. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- Wolfe, Jennifer (19 October 2015). "‘Angry Birds’ Blast Off on DVD December 1". Animation World Network. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "VideoETA - Angry Birds Toons: Season 2 Volume 2 (2016) DVD and Blu-ray". videoeta.com. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- Wolfe, Jennifer (6 July 2016). "‘Angry Birds Movie’ Hatching Early on Digital HD". Animation World Network. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
Angry Birds Toons: Season 3 Volume 1 will also be available on digital July 29 and on DVD Aug. 16.
- Lambert, David (12 October 2016). "Angry Birds Toons - Sony Schedules a DVD Date for 'Season 3, Volume 2'". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Ramin Zahed. (19 December 2011) "Angry Birds Lands on Nicktoons". Animation Magazine.
- (21 March 2012) "Angry Birds Space Headed to Nicktoons". IGN.
- (21 March 2014) "Angry Bird Space Game". FREEWARE DOWNLOAD GAME.
- "A brand-new series hits ToonsTV – get ready for Piggy Tales! - Rovio Entertainment Ltd". Rovio.com. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- "Angry Birds Stella Animated Series!". Angry Birds. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Angry Birds Blues". Cake Entertainment. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- Spangler, Todd (8 February 2017). "‘Angry Birds Blues’ Series, Co-Starring Hatchlings, Set to Perch on Rovio’s ToonsTV". Variety. Retrieved 12 February 2017.