Angus (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Angus in Scotland
|Subdivisions of Scotland||Angus|
|Major settlements||Arbroath, Brechin, Forfar and Montrose|
|Member of Parliament||vacant|
|Created from||East Angus|
|European Parliament constituency||Scotland|
It was created for the 1997 general election, largely replacing East Angus. As a result of boundary changes for the 2005 general election, the boundaries became quite different from those of the Angus Scottish Parliament constituency, which was created in 1999 and abolished in 2011.
The constituency is dominated by farmland, and includes the towns of Arbroath, Montrose, Brechin and Forfar.
1997-2005: The Angus District electoral divisions of Arbroath Central, Arbroath East, Arbroath North and Central Angus, Carnoustie East and Arbroath West, Carnoustie West, Montrose North, and Montrose South, and the City of Dundee District electoral divisions of Monifieth and Sidlaw.
2005–present: The Angus Council wards of Arbirlot and Hospitalfield, Arbroath North, Brechin North Esk, Brechin South Esk, Brechin West, Brothock, Cliffburn, Forfar Central, Forfar East, Forfar South, Forfar West, Harbour, Hayshead and Lunan, Keptie, Kirriemuir East, Kirriemuir West, Letham and Friockheim, Montrose Central, Montrose Ferryden, Montrose Hillside, Montrose West, and Westfield and Dean.
Members of Parliament
|1997||Andrew Welsh||Scottish National Party|
Elections in the 2010s
Candidates listed in alphabetical order of their surname.
|Liberal Democrats||Ben Lawrie|
|Liberal Democrats||Clive Sneddon||1,308||3.3||+0.6|
|Conservative gain from SNP||Swing||+16.0|
|Liberal Democrats||Sanjay Samani||1,216||2.7||−8.0|
|Scottish Green||David Mumford||965||2.2||N/A|
|Liberal Democrats||Sanjay Samani||4,090||10.8||−6.7|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Scott Rennie||6,660||17.5||+2.7|
|Scottish Socialist||Alan Manley||556||1.5||−0.4|
|Liberal Democrats||Peter Nield||5,015||14.3||+4.9|
|Scottish Socialist||Bruce Wallace||732||2.1||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|Conservative||Sebastian A.A. Leslie||10,603||24.6||N/A|
|Liberal Democrats||Dick B. Speirs||4,065||9.4||N/A|
|Referendum||Brian A. Taylor||883||2.0||N/A|
|SNP win (new seat)|
- "Political battle plans drawn in rural conflict". The Herald. 24 February 1997. Retrieved 4 April 2017.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "A" (part 2)
- "UKPE 2019 SPN NOP Situation of polling places - Angus (PDF)". Angus Council. Angus Council. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "General Election: SNP reselects 54 MPs". www.scotsman.com.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-09-23. Retrieved 2015-08-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election 2005; Result: Angus". BBC News. British Broadcasting Corporation. 2005-05-16. Retrieved 2008-07-26.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Vote2001: Results & Constituencies". BBC News. British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 2008-07-26.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.