Angus (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Angus in Scotland.
|Subdivisions of Scotland||Angus|
|Major settlements||Arbroath, Brechin, Forfar and Montrose|
|Member of parliament||Mike Weir (SNP)|
|Created from||East Angus|
|European Parliament constituency||Scotland|
It was created for the 1997 general election, largely replacing East Angus. As a result of boundary changes for the 2005 general election, boundaries are now quite different from those of the Angus Scottish Parliament constituency, which was created in 1999.
The constituency is dominated by farmland, and includes the towns of Arbroath, Montrose, Brechin and Forfar.
1997-2005: The Angus District electoral divisions of Arbroath Central, Arbroath East, Arbroath North and Central Angus, Carnoustie East and Arbroath West, Carnoustie West, Montrose North, and Montrose South, and the City of Dundee District electoral divisions of Monifieth and Sidlaw.
2005-present: The Angus Council wards of Arbirlot and Hospitalfield, Arbroath North, Brechin North Esk, Brechin South Esk, Brechin West, Brothock, Cliffburn, Forfar Central, Forfar East, Forfar South, Forfar West, Harbour, Hayshead and Lunan, Keptie, Kirriemuir East, Kirriemuir West, Letham and Friockheim, Montrose Central, Montrose Ferryden, Montrose Hillside, Montrose West, and Westfield and Dean.
Member of Parliament
Election in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Angus|
|Liberal Democrat||Sanjay Samani||1,216||2.7||-8.0|
|Scottish Green||David Mumford||965||2.2||N/A|
|General Election 2010: Angus|
|Liberal Democrat||Sanjay Samani||4,090||10.8||−6.7|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Angus|
|Liberal Democrat||Rev Scott Rennie||6,660||17.5||+3.2|
|Scottish Socialist||Alan Manley||556||1.5||−0.4|
|General Election 2001: Angus|
|Conservative||Marcus Ashley William Booth||8,736||25.0||+0.4|
|Labour||Ian Andrew McFatridge||8,183||23.4||+7.8|
|Liberal Democrat||Peter Joseph Nield||5,015||14.3||+4.9|
|Scottish Socialist||Bruce Wallace||732||2.1||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Angus|
|Conservative||Sebastian A.A. Leslie||10,603||24.6||N/A|
|Labour||Miss Catherine Dalling Taylor||6,733||15.6||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Dr. Dick B. Speirs||4,065||9.4||N/A|
|Referendum||Brian A. Taylor||883||2.0||N/A|
|SNP win (new seat)|
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "A" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election 2005; Result: Angus". BBC News (British Broadcasting Corporation). 2005-05-16. Retrieved 2008-07-26.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Vote2001: Results & Constituencies". BBC News (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 2008-07-26.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.