Hyland studied information design at the London College of Printing and Graphic Art and Design at the Royal College of Art. After running his own successful studio in Soho in London for ten years, he became a partner in Pentagram's London offices in 1998.
He has worked with a wide range of private and public sector clients including AkzoNobel, Asprey, the BBC, the British Council, the British Museum, Canongate Books, Cass Art, Citibank, the Crafts Council, Daishin Securities, EAT., Getty Images, Grant Thornton International, Mulberry, Nokia, Penguin, Phaidon Press, Pocket Canons, Reed Exhibitions, the Royal Academy of Arts, RoadBook, Sage, Samsung, The Sage Gateshead, Shakespeare's Globe and the Tate Modern.
In 2005, Hyland was appointed consultant creative director to Laurence King Publishing, where he oversees all aspects of design and brand management and is responsible for generating new book concepts.
Hyland's work has been widely published and exhibited and has received over one hundred creative awards including five D&AD Yellow Pencils and the Grand Prix from the Scottish Design Awards. He also featured in Independent on Sunday's' "Top Ten Graphic Designers in the UK".
Hyland was the curator of "Picture This", a British Council touring exhibition featuring the work of contemporary London-based illustrators, and "Ballpoint", an exhibition featuring works by fifty artists created with or inspired by the traditional ballpoint pen.
Hyland has edited eight books on graphic design, and was elected a member of Alliance Graphique Internationale (AGI) in 1999. In 2002 he received and honorary Master of Arts from the Surrey Institute of Art & Design. In 2012 Hyland was made a visiting fellow at the University of the Arts London. In 2014 and 2015 he served as an External Examiner on the MA Graphic Design course at the Royal College of Art. The Purple Book, published in June 2013 received the Book of the Year Award from the British Book Design and Production Awards.
Hyland is married to writer and illustrator Marion Deuchars.
- Pen and Mouse: Commercial Art and Digital Illustration, Edited by Angus Hyland: Laurence King Publishing 2001
- Hand to Eye: Contemporary Illustration, Edited by Angus Hyland and Roanne Bell: Laurence King Publishing 2003
- C/ID:Visual Identity and Branding for the Arts, Edited by Angus Hyland and Emily King: Laurence King Publishing 2006
- The Picture Book: Contemporary Illustration: Edited by Angus Hyland: Laurence King Publishing 2006
- Symbol, Edited by Angus Hyland and Steven Bateman: Laurence King Publishing 2011
- "The Purple Book: Symbolism and Sensuality in Contemporary Art and Illustration, Written by Angus Hyland and Angharad Lewis: Laurence King Publishing 2013 
- The Book of the Dog, Written by Angus Hyland and Kendra Wilson: Laurence King Publishing 2015
- The Book of the Bird, Written by Angus Hyland and Kendra Wilson: Laurence King Publishing 2016