Anil K Seth
|Alma mater||MA University of Cambridge|
PhD University of Sussex
|Institutions||University of Sussex|
Anil K Seth is a British professor of Cognitive and Computational Neuroscience at the University of Sussex.
Seth went to school at King Alfred's Academy in Wantage. He has degrees in Natural Sciences (BA/MA, Cambridge, 1994), Knowledge-Based Systems (M.Sc., Sussex, 1996) and Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (D.Phil./Ph.D., Sussex, 2001). He was a Postdoctoral and Associate Fellow at The Neurosciences Institute in San Diego, California (2001-2006).
Seth is Co-Director (with Prof. Hugo Critchley) of the Sackler Centre for Consciousness Science and Editor-in-Chief of Neuroscience of Consciousness. He was Conference Chair of the 16th Meeting of the Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness and continuing member 'at large' and is on the steering group and advisory board of the Human Mind Project. He was president of the Psychology Section of the British Science Association in 2017.
Seth has published over 100 scientific papers and book chapters, and is the Editor-in-Chief of the journal, Neuroscience of Consciousness. He is a regular contributor to the New Scientist, The Guardian, and BBC, and writes the blog NeuroBanter. He also consulted for the popular science book, Eye Benders, which won the 2014 Royal Society Young People’s Book Prize. An introductory essay on consciousness has been published on Aeon – The Real Problem – a 2016 Editor’s Pick.
- Brain Twisters (Ivy Press, 2015) - Consultant
- 30 Second Brain (Ivy Press, 2014) - Editor and Co-Author
- Eye Benders (Ivy Press, 2013) - Consultant
- Modelling Natural Action Selection (Cambridge University Press, 2011) - Editor and Co-Author
- "Anil Seth at the Sackler Centre for Consciousness Science". sussex.ac.uk. University of Sussex. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Editorial Board". academic.oup.com. Neuroscience of Consciousness. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Association of Scientific Studies of Consciousness". theassc.org. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Advisory Board". Human Mind Project. 2015-01-30. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Psychology Section". British Science Association. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Who we are". sites.google.com. BSA Psychology. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Anil Seth". theguardian.com. the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Anil Seth on consciousness, The Life Scientific". BBC.co.uk. BBC Radio 4. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "About". NeuroBanter. 2014-01-18. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- GrrlScientist (2014-11-17). "Royal Society Young People's Book Prize winner announced". theGuardian.com. the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- Clive., Gifford (2015). Brain Twisters : the science of feeling and thinking. Seth, Anil. Lewes: Ivy. ISBN 9781782402046. OCLC 899705249.
- 30-second brain : the 50 most mind-blowing ideas in neuroscience, each explained in half a minute. Seth, Anil., Bekinschtein, Tristan. New York: Metro Books. 2014. ISBN 9781435147843. OCLC 875565756.
- Clive., Gifford (2013). Eye benders. Seth, Anil, 1976-. Lewes: Ivy. ISBN 9781782400844. OCLC 861317419.
- Seth., Anil (2011). Modelling natural action selection. Prescott J, Tony.,Bryson J, Joanna. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9781107000490. OCLC 934350929.
- Official website
- Sackler Centre for Consciousness Science
- David Edelman and Anil Seth (2009). "Animal consciousness: a synthetic approach". Trends in Neurosciences
- "Criteria for consciousness in humans and other mammals". PubMed
- Anil Seth's TEDTalk "Your brain hallucinates your conscious reality" Recorded April 2017
- Anil Seth's Royal Institute talk "The Neuroscience of Consciousness" Recorded February 2017