- Not to be confused with Animal Crackers, a Canadian animated television series.
|Presented by||Alan Thicke|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
Vin Di Bona Productions
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original release||August 8, 1987 – September 1, 1990|
Animal Crack-Ups is an ABC game show which aired in primetime from August 8 to September 12, 1987, after which it aired on Saturday mornings from September 12, 1987 to December 30, 1989 and again from June 2 to September 1, 1990. It was produced by ABC Productions in association with Vin Di Bona Productions (both companies also produce America's Funniest Home Videos) and hosted by Alan Thicke, who was on Growing Pains at the time. The program was based on a Japanese series, Waku Waku.
The show's theme song was "Animals Are Just Like People Too", created by Thickovit music (Alan and Todd Thicke and Gary Pickus).
Four celebrities competed. Host Thicke introduced a video clip about an animal; at some point, the video was paused and Thicke asked a question about the clip. The celebrities give their answers, after which the remainder of the clip was played, revealing the answer.
Any celebrities giving the correct answer received a point; score was kept by placing a stuffed animal (a monkey in the first season, a hedgehog in later seasons) in front of the celebrity's podium. The celeb with the most toy animals/points won the game and $2,500 for their favorite animal charity. If a tie occurred, the money was split between the charities.
On segues to two commercial breaks, a hedgehog puppet named "Reggie the Heggie" (performed by Susan Blu) gave animal facts to the home viewers and read home-viewer mail.
- Spain had a version of this show, using the original Japanese name, Waku Waku then later as Jimanji Kanana for La 1.
- Argentina also had a version called Waku Waku with Héctor Larrea for Canal 9.
- Chile had a version called Maravillozoo for Canal 13.
- Brazil had a version called TV Animal for SBT.
- Netherlands had a version of this show, using the original Japanese name, Waku Waku for KRO.
- Portugal had a version called Arca De Noe ("Noah's Ark") for RTP.
- Library of Congress. "Animals are just like people too : Theme from Animal crack-ups." Copyright registration PAu001011105.
- Vin Di Bona Productions
- Animal Crack-Ups at the Internet Movie Database
- Animal Crack-Ups at TV.com
- Clip of the show's theme song with scenes of animals
|This article about a television game show produced in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|