Animal Law Review
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
Joe Christensen, Inc. (United States)
Animal Law Review is a law review covering animal law published by students at Lewis & Clark Law School in Portland, Oregon. Publishing its first volume in 1994, it was the first law review to focus on animal law issues and is the best known journal in its field. It has featured articles by noted legal scholars such as Laurence H. Tribe and Cass R. Sunstein as well as experts such as Jane Goodall.
Animal Law Review publishes two issues each year. The journal's objective is to educate readers about all sides of animal-related legal issues. The journal also publishes a Legislative Review on an annual basis, which covers developments in animal-related legislation at the state and federal levels. Animal Law Review is edited entirely by students. Its Bluebook abbreviation is Animal L.
Members are selected in three ways. They can be admitted by virtue of their grades during their first year of law school. They can also be admitted by participating in an anonymous writing competition held by all three law reviews at Lewis & Clark Law School during the summer months. However, most members are admitted through a process in which students compete in a source-checking and editing competition at the end of their first semester of law school, then work as volunteer source checkers without academic credit during their second semester of law school. The students who earn top scores in the source-checking and editing competition are invited to source check the following semester and the students who excel during that semester are invited to join the law review as full members in their second year.
- Kim McCoy, former cast member on Animal Planet's Whale Wars, Quartermaster and International Executive Director of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. Served as Editor in Chief of Animal Law Review for Volume 13 (2006–2007).
- Nancy Perry, Senior Vice President of Government Affairs for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Co-founder of Animal Law Review.
- Kathryn Alfisi. "Animal Law". Washington Lawyer. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- Jeff Welty. "Animal Law: Thinking About the Future". Law and Contemporary Problems. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- "Index of Animal Law Review". Animal Legal & Historical Center. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- "A Webliography on Animal Law". Wisconsin State Bar. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- See generally, Animal Law Review Homepage
- "Animal Law Books & Periodicals". Animal Legal Defense Fund. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- "Bluebook Abbreviations of Law Review Titles". University of Washington School of Law. Retrieved 2010-04-05.
- "Join Our Staff". Animal Law Review. Lewis & Clark Law School. Archived from the original on 1 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "Animal Law Review Staff". Volume Thirteen. Lewis & Clark Law School. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- "Meet the Crew". Whale Wars. Discovery Communications, LLC. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- "ASPCA Names Nancy Perry Senior Vice President of Government Relations". American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Retrieved 2011-11-27.