Animal Magnetism (Scorpions album)
|Studio album by Scorpions|
|Released||31 March 1980|
|Recorded||Dierks Studios, Cologne, Germany,
Manta Sound Studios, Toronto, Canada
December 1979 - February 1980
|Genre||Heavy metal, hard rock|
|Singles from Animal Magnetism|
The album cover was created by Storm Thorgerson of the design firm Hipgnosis and, as with earlier Scorpions album sleeves, courted controversy. However unlike several of their previous album sleeves the controversy did not result in the cover being replaced with an alternate sleeve. Recalling the cover photo, Thorgerson remarked, "That one was funny. I don't think we figured it out. We just knew there was something rude somewhere."
Scorpions bassist at the time, Francis Buchholz, recalls that, "Herman came up with the title for the album Animal Magnetism and we all liked it because it's an interesting title. So we had this guy Storm who was doing album covers for Pink Floyd, I think he did the one with the guy with the flames. So Storm came up with the idea for the Animal Magnetism cover, I personally didn't like it, but the rest of the band loved it. I liked the dog though."
In some editions, an extra track "Hey You", sung by Rudolf Schenker is included. This song was released on the same title single "Hey You" as side-A (together with "The Zoo" as side-B).
|1.||"Make It Real"||Rudolf Schenker, Herman Rarebell||3:49|
|2.||"Don't Make No Promises (Your Body Can't Keep)"||Matthias Jabs, Rarebell||2:55|
|3.||"Hold Me Tight"||Schenker, Klaus Meine, Rarebell||3:53|
|4.||"Twentieth Century Man"||Schenker, Meine||3:00|
|5.||"Lady Starlight"||Schenker, Meine||6:15|
|6.||"Falling in Love"||Rarebell||4:09|
|7.||"Only a Man"||Schenker, Meine, Rarebell||3:32|
|8.||"The Zoo"||Schenker, Meine||5:28|
|9.||"Animal Magnetism"||Schenker, Meine, Rarebell||5:56|
|CD bonus track|
|10.||"Hey You" (song by Rudolf Schenker. Not on all versions)||Schenker, Meine, Rarebell||4:29|
- Band members
- Klaus Meine – lead vocals
- Matthias Jabs – lead and rhythm guitars, backing vocals
- Rudolf Schenker – lead and rhythm guitars, backing vocals
- Francis Buchholz – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Herman Rarebell – drums, backing vocals
- Additional musicians on "Lady Starlight"
- Allan Macmillan – strings and horns arrangements, conductor
- Adele Arman, Victoria Richard – violins
- Paul Arman – viola
- Richard Arman – cello
- Charles Elliot – bass
- Melvin Berman – oboe
- George Stimpson, Brad Wamaar – French horns
- Dieter Dierks – producer, engineer, mixing
- David Green – engineer on "Lady Starlight"
- Steve Fallone – mastering
- Howie Weinberg – re-mastering for CD
|1980||German Albums Chart||12|
|UK Albums Chart||23|
|Swedish Albums Chart||37|
|Billboard 200 (North America)||52|
|1980||"Make It Real"||UK Singles Chart||72|
|USA||RIAA||1991||Platinum (+ 1,000,000)|
|Canada||CRIA||1985||Gold (+ 50,000)|
- Weber, Barry. "Scorpions Animal Magnetism review". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2012-09-30.
- Fricke, David (26 June 1980). "Album Reviews: Scorpions - Animal Magnetism". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 26 June 2007. Retrieved 2012-09-30.
- Popoff, Martin (1 November 2005). The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal: Volume 2: The Eighties. Burlington, Ontario, Canada: Collector's Guide Publishing. ISBN 978-1894959315.
- RIAA Gold and Platinum Search for albums by Scorpions. Retrieved on 2011-02-22.
- Steven Cerio. "Interview with Storm Thorgerson". Retrieved 24 January 2008.
- Syrjälä, Marko. "Interview with Francis Buchholz". Metal-rules.com. Archived from the original on 14 May 2008. Retrieved 12 May 2008.
- "Album – Scorpions, Animal Magnetism". Charts.de (in German). Media Control Charts. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Scorpions – Animal Magnetism Chart Stats". Chart Archive.org. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Scorpions – Animal Magnetism (album)". Swedishcharts.com. Media Control Charts. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Animal Magnetism Billboard Albums". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 22, No. 17, July 19 1980". Library and Archives Canada. 19 July 1980. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Scorpions – Make It Real Chart Stats". Chart Archive.org. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Scorpions – The Zoo Chart Stats". Chart Archive.org. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Gold Platinum Search for Scorpions". Music Canada. Retrieved 2012-10-09.