|Publisher||Penguin Group (Australia)|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
Animalia is an illustrated children's book by Graeme Base. It was originally published in 1986, followed by a tenth anniversary edition in 1996, and a 25th anniversary edition in 2012. Over three million copies have been sold. A special numbered and signed anniversary edition was also published in 1996, with an embossed gold jacket.
Animalia is an alliterative alphabet book and contains twenty-six illustrations, one for each letter of the alphabet. Each illustration features an animal from the animal kingdom (A is for alligator, B is for butterfly, etc.) along with a short poem utilizing the letter of the page for many of the words. The illustrations contain many other objects beginning with that letter that the reader can try to identify. As an additional challenge, the author has hidden a picture of himself as a child in every picture.
H. N. Abrams published The Animalia Wall Frieze, a fold-out over 26 feet in length, in which the author created new riddles for each letter.
The Great American Puzzle Factory created a 300-piece jigsaw puzzle based on the book's cover.
A television series was also created, based on the book, which airs in the United States, Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, Norway and Venezuela. It also airs on Minimax for the Czech Republic and Slovakia. And recently in Greece on the channel ET1. The Australian Children's Television Foundation released a teaching resource DVD-ROM in 2011 to accompany the TV series with teaching aids for classroom use.
Animalia won the Young Australian's Best Book Award in 1987 for Best Picture Story Book.
Kid's Own Australian Literature Awards named Animalia the 1988 Picture Book Winner.
- Puffin Books. "Animalia 25th Anniversary Edition". Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- ABE Books. "Animalia (Numbered and Signed anniversary edition)". Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Penguin Books. "Animalia Colouring Book". Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- LibraryThing.com. "Animalia 2008 Coloring Calendar". Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- BookFinder.com. "The Animalia Wall Frieze". Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Amazon.com. "Animalia 300-piece jigsaw puzzle". Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Curriculum Press. "Animalia - Primary teaching resource". Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- MyBookCorner.com.au. "Animalia - Anniversary Edition". Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- Yabba.org. "Award Winners - 1986 through 2011". Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- The Children's Book Council of Australia. "Winners and Commended Books 1980 - 1989". Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- KOALA New South Wales. "Complete list of KOALA winners 1987 to 2012" (PDF). Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Graeme Base's official website
- Animalia The Television Series official website
- A Learning Time activity guide for Animalia created by The Little Big Book Club