|Studio album by Kiss|
|Released||September 13, 1984|
|Recorded||May - July 1984 at Right Track Studios, New York|
|Genre||Hard rock, glam metal|
Casablanca Records (Japan)
Animalize marked the only appearance by lead guitarist Mark St. John, who replaced Vinnie Vincent in April 1984. St. John stated that when recording the record, he had utilized his Rockman gear, and that heavy equalization was used to take the "Boston" sound out of the recording.
St. John was forced to leave Kiss during the subsequent tour after being diagnosed with Reiter's Syndrome. By November 1984, he was out of the band, the third lead guitarist to exit the group in two years. When asked what 'Animalize' meant, Stanley said that people were starting to become more like computers and that "making music by pressing buttons" was no fun.
In a continuation of Kiss' commercial resurgence begun with Lick It Up, Animalize was certified platinum by the RIAA. It was the biggest-selling Kiss album since 1979's Dynasty. The album has apparently sold two million units, but has not been recertified for that amount.
Critics and longtime fans, however, criticized the band's continued move towards a glam rock style on Animalize. Simmons fell into increasing conflict with his bandmates during this period for a variety of reasons, most of which revolved around his perceived lack of commitment to the band and preoccupation with numerous outside projects, including producing and managing other rock groups such as Black 'n Blue (whom Tommy Thayer was a member of at the time), bit parts in films like Trick or Treat (as a radio DJ), a co-starring role in Runaway, and an assortment of business ventures. "Heaven's on Fire" became the biggest hit from the album (as well as the only song to survive on the band's live setlist after the '80s), and its music video received heavy MTV rotation. It is also the only music video appearance of the late Mark St. John.
|1.||"I've Had Enough (Into the Fire)"||Paul Stanley, Desmond Child||Stanley||3:52|
|2.||"Heaven's on Fire"||Stanley, Child||Stanley||3:21|
|3.||"Burn Bitch Burn"||Gene Simmons||Simmons||4:42|
|4.||"Get All You Can Take"||Stanley, Mitch Weissman||Stanley||3:44|
|5.||"Lonely Is the Hunter"||Simmons||Simmons||4:28|
|6.||"Under the Gun"||Stanley, Eric Carr, Child||Stanley||4:01|
|7.||"Thrills in the Night"||Stanley, Jean Beauvoir||Stanley||4:21|
|8.||"While the City Sleeps"||Simmons, Weissman||Simmons||3:41|
|9.||"Murder in High Heels"||Simmons, Weissman||Simmons||3:52|
- Paul Stanley - Rhythm guitar,lead vocals
- Gene Simmons - Bass guitar, lead vocals
- Eric Carr - drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Mark St. John - Lead guitar on Tracks 1, 3-4, 6-7, and 9
- Bruce Kulick - lead guitar on "Lonely Is the Hunter" and "While The City Sleeps", "Heavens On Fire"
- Jean Beauvoir - bass guitar on "Under the Gun"
- Allan Schwartzberg - drum overdubs
|Chart (1984)||Peak position|
|Australian Albums Chart||40|
|Austrian Albums Chart||14|
|Canadian Albums Chart||41|
|Dutch Albums Chart||17|
|Finnish Albums Chart||4|
|German Albums Chart||25|
|Norwegian Albums Chart||14|
|Swedish Albums Chart||8|
|Swiss Albums Chart||9|
|UK Albums Chart||11|
|US Billboard 200||19|
|1984||United States||Billboard Mainstream Rock||"Heaven's on Fire"||11|
|Billboard Hot 100||49|
|Austria||Pop Singles||62|
|Canada||RPM 100 Singles||46|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||100,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- "Billboard Discography - Kiss Animalize". Retrieved February 9, 2009.
- "KISS : ANIMALIZE (1984)" (in French). Metal.nightfall.fr. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- "VISTA RECORDS - KISS - Animalize (1984)". Vistarecords.proboards.com. 2010-03-08. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- Animalize at AllMusic
- "Kiss: Album Guide | Rolling Stone Music". Rollingstone.com. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- Saulnier, Jason (14 March 2011). "Bruce Kulick Interview". Music Legends. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Albums chart history-Kiss albums". Retrieved December 16, 2009.
- "Search - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- Pennanen, Timo (2006). Sisältää hitin - levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972 (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Kustannusosakeyhtiö Otava. p. 263. ISBN 978-951-1-21053-5.
- "UK Albums chart history-Kiss albums". Retrieved December 16, 2009.
- "AllMusic Billboard albums". Retrieved February 9, 2009.
- "Billboard artist chart history - Kiss". Retrieved February 10, 2009.
- "RPM Magazine 100 Singles, Vol 41, No 15, Dec 16, 1984". Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- "Lescharts.com". Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- "Canadian album certifications – Kiss – Animalize". Music Canada.
- "Kiss" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "American album certifications – Kiss – Animalize". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH