|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Flintstones, which debuted in 1960, is considered the first example of the animated sitcom genre. The similar cartoon The Jetsons, which took place in the future rather than the past, followed in 1962.
Animated sitcoms have been adult-oriented and more controversial than traditional cartoons from the onset. The Flintstones was originally oriented at adults, as an animated version of The Honeymooners, though it was primarily popular with teenagers.
The Simpsons and expansion of the genre
Though many animated sitcoms have only lasted a few years or as little as one season, popular shows such as The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and Futurama all debuted before the year 2000 and lasted a long time, the first three still airing new episodes as of 2016 (Futurama ended in 2013). Canadian examples in this genre from the decade include Chilly Beach, Odd Job Jack and, most recently, Fugget About It.
- Mark - Art Institute (7 February 2011). "8 Great Animated Sitcoms That Should've Lasted Longer Than One Season". College Life, Hot Girls, Funny Pics, Sexy Cheerleaders: COED.
- Cartoon Sitcom Face-Off
- "A Brief History of Flintstones Vitamins". Mental Floss.
- "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home Description - Retro Junk". retrojunk.com.
- "The Debut of the Simpsons - 1987 - Nonstop 80s". nonstop80s.blogspot.com.
- "The Simpsons (TV Series 1989– )". IMDb.