Anime News Network
|Type of site||Anime|
United Kingdom
|Owner||Christopher Macdonald (CEO)|
|Created by||Founder: Justin Sevakis; Various|
|Slogan(s)||"The Internet's most trusted anime news source"|
|Registration||Required for use of forums or contributing information|
Anime News Network (ANN) is an anime industry news website that reports on the status of anime, manga, video games, Japanese popular music and other related cultures within North America, Australia and Japan. Additionally, it sometimes features similar happenings throughout the Anglosphere and elsewhere in the world. The website offers reviews and other editorial content, forums where readers can discuss current issues and events, and an encyclopedia that contains a large number of anime and manga with information on Japanese and English staff, theme songs, plot summaries, and user ratings.
Founded in July 1998 by Justin Sevakis, the website claims to be the leading English-language source for news and information about anime and manga on the Internet. The site operated, until 2008 the magazine Protoculture Addicts. The website has separate versions of its news content aimed towards audiences in three separate regions: the United States and Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and the United Kingdom and Ireland.
The website was founded by Justin Sevakis in July 1998. In May 2000, current CEO Christopher Macdonald joined the website editorial staff, replacing former editor-in-chief Isaac Alexander. In July 2002, Anime News Network launched its Encyclopedia, a collaborative database of anime and manga titles also including information about the staff, cast, and companies involved in the production or localization of those titles. In January 2007, ANN launched a separate version for Australian audiences. On July 4, 2008, ANN launched its video platform with a library of anime trailers as well as its own news show ANNtv.
In the fall of 2004, the editorial staff at ANN became formally involved with the anime magazine Protoculture Addicts; the magazine began publishing under ANN's editorial control in January 2005. On September 7, 2004, the Sci Fi Channel online newsletter Sci Fi Weekly named the site the Web Site of the Week.
The website maintains a listing of anime and manga titles, as well as people and companies involved in the production of those titles, which it dubs an "encyclopedia". The site has hosted several regular columns, including a question-and-answer column "Hey Answerman", a review column entitled "Shelf Life", a column on old and forgotten media called "Buried Treasure" written by Sevakis, and a listing of claimed differences between edited and original versions of anime series titled "The Edit List". Staff members of ANN also publish their own blogs hosted on the site.
ANN also hosts forums, and includes threads to accompany each news item for purposes of discussion. Anime News Network hosts an IRC channel on the WorldIRC network, #animenewsnetwork. The website was blocked in Saudi Arabia for over a year as it was believed to contain pornographic material.
- "Who operates ANN?". FAQ. Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 18 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-22.
- "Staff List". Anime News Network. 2007. Archived from the original on 20 January 2008. Retrieved 2016-02-10.
- "Animenewsnetwork.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "What is ANN?". FAQ. Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 18 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-18.
- Dellamonica, A.M. (2004-09-07). "Site of the Week - Anime News Network". Sci Fi Weekly. SciFi.com. Archived from the original on 2008-01-16. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- "Anime News Network and Protoculture Addicts Join Forces" (Press release). Protoculture Addicts. 2004-09-18. Retrieved 2008-01-22.
- "Anime News Network Australia". Anime News Network. 2007-01-25. Archived from the original on 30 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-22.
- "Re-announcing ANN UK & Australia". Anime News Network. 2011-03-25. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Anime News Network". whois.domaintools.com.
- Crocker, Janet (October 2004). "Addicts Nip/Tuck". Anime Fringe. Retrieved 2008-02-18.
- "Can I submit an article?". FAQ. Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 18 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-18.
- "Buried Treasure". Anime News Network. 2012-11-07. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "Columns". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 18 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-18.
- "ANN Staff and Industry Blogs". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 26 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- Anime News Network suddenly blocked in Saudi Arabia (Manga Fox unblocked)|Saudi TechView Archived September 24, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- حجب موقع Anime News Network Archived December 15, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- تم حجب animenewsnetwork بالسعودية
- Macdonald, Christopher. "ANN is blocked in Saudi Arabia". Retrieved 22 December 2011.