Two girls cosplaying as anime characters during Animecon 2007.
|Attendance||approx. 7,000 in 2007, together with Finncon|
1999-2011 Various organizations,2012-present KAMY
Animecon was organized as a joint project between anime clubs throughout Finland, facilitated by the communications hub Suomen Animeunioni (The Finnish Anime Union). The convention was first established in 1999 as an outgrowth of the science fiction anime fandom of the sci-fi convention Finncon, expanded into a separate event about anime in general. Animecon and Finncon have been held in conjunction, sharing premises but no events; they even often held separate opening ceremonies. In 2012 Animecon was held at Kuopio for a first time and the convention has remained there since then.
The two drew some 5200 visitors in 2004 and 5500 in 2006, peaking at 5000 on Saturday during the three-day event. After the 2007 conventions, an organizer cited the number of visitors as an estimated 7000. Animecon II was the first major cosplay event in Finland,  and the practice has been noted for its abundance in later ones.
|August 1–3, 2003||University of Turku
|July 10–11, 2004||University of Jyväskylä
|5,200||yoshitoshi ABe and Jonathan Clements.|
|August 18–20, 2006||Helsinki Congress Paasitorni
|9,000||Paul Gravett.|
|July 14–15, 2007||University of Jyväskylä
|July 26–27, 2008||Tampere Hall
|July 10–12, 2009||Kaapelitehdas
|July 14-17, 2011||Turku||Himeka, Yukihiro Notsu|
|July 14-15, 2012||Kuopio Music Centre
|Yoshihiro Takahashi, Team 4 Star, Benzaie|
|July 13-14, 2013||Kuopio Music Centre
|DJ Sharpnel, Spoony, Benzaie|
|July 12-13, 2014||Kuopio Music Centre
- Eturautti, Kyuu (2005). "Kotimaan katsaus (A domestic look)". Anime magazine. No. 01. p. 42.
- Joukamaa, Mauno (2006). "Animecon: Kuinka kaikki alkoi (Animecon: How it all began)". Anime magazine. No. 13. p. 08.
- "Jyväskylän Kesä veti väkeä". Turun Sanomat (in Finnish). 2004-07-14. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-09-03.
- Eturautti, Kyuu (2006). "Tervetuloa coniin! (Welcome to the con!)". Anime magazine. No. 14. pp. 40–45.
- Animecon V home page. Accessed on 2007-09-03. "Kävijöitä oli erittäin paljon, arvoiden mukaan n. 7000." (We had an abundance of participants, estimates put their number at around seven thousand.)
- Escapism in Japanese style (2006), Tuomas Tiainen, Free! magazine. Accessed on 2007-09-03.
- "Finncon / Animecon 2004 Information". AnimeCons.com. Retrieved 2008-06-18.
- "Animecon 2006 Information". AnimeCons.com. Archived from the original on 25 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-18.
- "Animecon 2007 Information". AnimeCons.com. Retrieved 2008-06-18.
- "Animecon 2007 Information". AnimeCons.com. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- "2011 Finncon-Animecon". 2011.finncon.org. Retrieved 2010-07-28.