|Genres||Heavy metal, anison|
|Labels||Sony Music Entertainment|
|Past members||Scott Travis|
Animetal USA (アニメタルUSA Animetaru Yū Esu Ē?) is a Japan-based American heavy metal band formed as a tribute to Eizo Sakamoto's band Animetal. They made their world debut at the 2011 Loud Park Festival, where they performed on stage with Momoiro Clover Z.
The band's original members consisted of lead vocalist Mike Vescera (of Obsession, formerly of Loudness and Yngwie Malmsteen, ), guitarist Chris Impellitteri (of Impellitteri), bassist Rudy Sarzo (formerly of Quiet Riot, Ozzy Osbourne, Whitesnake, and the Geoff Tate lineup of Queensrÿche) and drummer Scott Travis (of Judas Priest and Racer X). In 2012, Travis departed the band to tour with Judas Priest and was replaced by Killing Machine and former Slayer and Testament drummer Jon Dette.
Their debut self-titled album was released on October 12, 2011, and features English-language heavy metal covers of several anime theme songs, ranging from Dragon Ball's "Makafushigi Adventure!" to Neon Genesis Evangelion's "A Cruel Angel's Thesis". The songs were arranged by Impellitteri and former Megadeth guitarist Marty Friedman. A second album is in production, having asked their Japanese and American fans to submit requests for songs they should cover on it.
In March 2012 it was revealed that the band have collaborated with Hironobu Kageyama of JAM Project to provide the opening theme to the Naruto anime spin-off series Rock Lee & His Ninja Pals. This song is set to be released as a single and will also be included on their forthcoming second album due for release in Japan in June 2012.
In 2016, a spin off project was launched called D-Metal Stars; the band features Vescera, Sarzo, guitarist John Bruno(Obsession), and drummer BJ Zampa (House of Lords, formerly of Obsession, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Dokken). The band covers heavy metal versions of popular Disney songs on Walt Disney Records. The song "I see the Light" from Tangled features special guests Demon Kakka (Seikima-II) and Jeff Watson (Night Ranger). The debut album Metal Disney was released in October 2016 in the Japanese market. Since its release it has reached as high as #3 on the Amazon Japan Hard Rock / Metal Best Sellers chart, and #2 on the Children's Chart.
- Current members
- Mike Vescera as Metal-Rider - lead vocals 2011–present
- Chris Impellitteri as Speed-King - guitar 2011–present
- Rudy Sarzo as Storm-Bringer - bass 2011–present
- Jon Dette as Tank - drums 2012–present
- Former members
- Scott Travis - Drums 2011-2012
- "Give Lee Give Lee Rock Lee" (2012)
- "USメタル界精鋭が新バンド「アニメタルUSA」結成". Natalie.mu. September 5, 2011. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "メタルの祭典「LOUD PARK 11」にアニメタルUSA参戦". Natalie.mu. September 16, 2011. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "ももいろクローバーZ×アニメタルUSAがラウパーで合体". Natalie.mu. October 16, 2011. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "ANIMETAL USA". bravewords.com. January 10, 2012. Retrieved January 31, 2012.
- "An Update On Animetal USA". Anime Chronicle. 2012-02-17. Retrieved 2012-04-04.
- "Animetal USA to provide theme for new Naruto spinoff anime". Anime Chronicle. 2012-03-04. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "アニメタルUSA×JAM Projectが「日米アニソンサミット」". Natalie.mu. 2012-01-29. Retrieved 2012-02-18.
|This article on a heavy metal musician or group is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|